Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What caliber, for absolute stopping power?

rrr

So we're talkin dead dead, not just dead...

Of what I personally own now, I think that a 12 ga slug, .35 Remington, or even my .50 ML would leave them all dead dead...

I think an AR set up in .308 would probably be an ideal dead,dead gun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How about a Mosin Nagant? 7.62x54.

I guess the 308 would be nice, but some of the big game rounds would certainly work as well. I will stick with the 223/243 for now because they are easier to tote in than my 7.62x54.

I should add, for the areas I have available to hunt, I really don't want any chance of bullet skip. Varmint rounds in the 223/243 are one of the reasons I go for these rounds. I am not sure if they have varmint rounds for 270/308 or not, but I would think it would be a good idea to use them if they are available.

hickslawns said:
I am not sure if they have varmint rounds for 270/308 or not, but I would think it would be a good idea to use them if they are available.
I've seen coyote hunting videos of ARs in .308 and they are DRT killing machines.

I used to own a Remington 788 in .308 and it shot a 110gr. Hornady V-Max at 3040 f.p.s. in a clover leaf group, at 100 yards. It would ruin the day of any groundhog. :smiley_blink:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:
I have killed a lot of them with everything from 22 LR to 12 gau slugs

IMO a 223 with 50 gr or heavyer bullets like the Balistic Tip work perfictly

I have never had one get up

Even the one I shot in the ass as it ran away

And as for a gun ....I carry a AR with a 5 rnd mag
But in some areas the locals call the cops when they see a black rifle

John