Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 4

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I mowed the lawn today. The grandson wants to hunt tonight so I'm taking the decoys down to the hunting tower now. I have a neat setup as my tower is in the corner of my food plot and in the middle of the neighbors 3 ac hay field. The turkeys fly down in both fields. Plus I can lock up the decoys in the tower and don't have to take them back and forth.
I'll hit it starting the 1st of the week. Good luck team mates and be safe.
Anyone got a idea for a team name? How about FJJZ.

Last edited:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Fine by me Frank. I took Karly out this morning. Had five gobblers working towards us until 7 hens flew down and it was game over. I forgot to take pictures with her for bonus points dang it. We will see what happens in the morning.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got up at 5:00AM and left the house at 5:45 for the walk out back. I set the 2 decoy setups up and sat down to wait for opening time drinking a hot cup of coffee. I used my hoot owl call and got a answer about 400 yds. away but nothing close. At 6:45 it sounded like a whole flock and couple Toms fly down behind me in my big pasture field about 250 yds. away. They carried on great.
I hen called couple times and hear a Tom coming towards me through the brush. He crossed the creek behind me and at 7:15 came out into the hay field about 75 yds. to my right. He displayed and gobbled and came towards the decoys but hung up at 56 yds. He just would commit and come any closer as he must not of liked my decoy setup and he just walked off to the South.
At 9:00 I had a lone hen feed across my food plot about 125 yds out and she feed off to the North.
About 10:00 a hunter came from the South into the hay field and seen my decoy setup and turned around and left. I believe no one else has permission.
At 11:00 5 does and yearlings came into the hay field about 80 yds. away and surely didn't like the decoys moving in the wind. The lead doe barked and ran off to 125 yds. and all 5 just stood there looking at the decoys for the longest time.

I'm going to setup a ground blind in the corner of the large pasture as we've killed several Toms there in the past. And to think I walked past that spot by 10 ft. going in this morning. Of course I'll setup there and they'll fly down where I sat today. I'll use the hoot owl call to locate them before deciding where to set.

4 of the 5 deer at 75 yds.

Last edited:

Buck Whisperer

Me and my buddy took my son and daughter out Saturday and Sunday. Sunday morning my daughter shot a Jake it was a good weekend. Had a fox attack our decoy, and we saw a grouse and got to hear couple drumming. Havent made it out myself yet this weekend I'm gonna get out.

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_095245573.jpg
    IMG_20150419_095245573.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got up at 5:00 this morning and left the house at 5:45 for the walk out back.
Set both decoys sets up and hear gobbling in 4 different direction. Nothing flew down in either field.
At 7:15 a Jake walked into the hay field towards my decoys and turned around and left at 75 yds.
8:15 had 2 yearly does come out into my food plot and they surely didn't like the decoys in their clover plot. The would come within 25 ft. of the decoys and throw their heads up in the air and jump came 20 ft. and start all over again for over 30 minutes. Then I heard a deer snort south of me in the hay field and a doe was 75 yds. stomping her feet at the other decoys. She crossed over and joined the other 2 deer and finally left and went into my woods.
Then a lone hen fed through my food plot. Then another hen came after her. The one hen looked like it had a 3" beard.
At 10:00 I hear a gobble to my right in the hay field. Couldn't see anything as I have a blind corner due to the brush. About 20 mimutes later here come a big Tom with about a 10" beard. But he hangs up at 70 yds. and walks around and leaves. Hen called and no good.
15 minutes later 6 does feed across the hay field and went into the brush. I seen no antler bumps.
11:30 3 hens and a Jake walked across the hay field 125 yds. and entered the brush.

This is 2 times a nice Tom came into the decoys and hung up and walked away. I'm going to retire the strutting Tom decoys as I'm thinking the Toms have been beat up by other Toms already. We'll see.
I pulled one set of hen decoys and brought them home as I'm putting a ground blind down in my big pasture field today. We've killed more Toms there than any where else on the farm over the years. I just like the 2 set ups in the 2 different fields from my hunting tower. But I've yet killed a turkey there in 2 years.

Overall a fun day with 9 deer and 9 turkey seen. Even kicked up 2 mallard ducks off the creek on the way back home.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's why I don't use a strutting tom. I think they spook too many gobblers. My tom skirted around my Jake and hen on Monday but I think that was because there was already 5 Jakes within his view.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Went down to setup a ground blind on my big pasture and kicked a big Tom off. Hope he forgets and comes back tomorrow.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Went down to setup a ground blind on my big pasture and kicked a big Tom off. Hope he forgets and comes back tomorrow.

He will be back eventually or maybe tomarrow Frank. My buddy and I have been chasing this monster bird since last year. We bumped him and ahen out of arye field the other morning and he hasnt went anywhere.He is the biggest and smartest bird I've seen alive. And the hens that are with him are even smarter. I had him 60 yards today but I couldn't get him any closer. The hen walked by and off they went. We are closing the gap on him though. Hopefully tomorrow is the day. I shot a Jake monday .He came in like a hot head answering my two yelps and came fast. It was a short hunt but a lot of fun. Good luck and keep after him.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was going out in the morning but it's supposed to start raining at 4:00AM and be pouring at 9:00. I'll wait till Sunday.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It never did rain here yet just a sprinkle. No wind here. It's Sunday rain or not.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Up at 5:00AM today and went down to the ground blind I set up. Put the 4 hen decoys out.
At 6:15 I did a owl call and I'll be darn a Tom gobbled right in front of me. I used my binos and 2 Toms are roosting 175 yds. away. Then 4 Toms are gobbling.
At 6:50 a hen and 2 Toms flew down into the pasture 175 yds. away. The hen fed and the 2 Toms stood like statues for 20 minutes then started feeding away through the fence and left. They answered me every time I used the hen call. I guess they seen me set up and wasn't coming closer.
Nothing showed or any gobbling until 10:00. My legs started to get chiller and hurt. I have to be careful with my MS leg muscle spasms so I packed up and went home.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Up at 5:00AM today and went down to the ground blind I set up. Put the 4 hen decoys out.
At 6:15 I did a owl call and I'll be darn a Tom gobbled right in front of me. I used my binos and 2 Toms are roosting 175 yds. away. Then 4 Toms are gobbling.
At 6:50 a hen and 2 Toms flew down into the pasture 175 yds. away. The hen fed and the 2 Toms stood like statues for 20 minutes then started feeding away through the fence and left. They answered me every time I used the hen call. I guess they seen me set up and wasn't coming closer.
Nothing showed or any gobbling until 10:00. My legs started to get chiller and hurt. I have to be careful with my MS leg muscle spasms so I packed up and went home.
Sounds like a exciting morning Frank. My turkey hunting partner and me went after a bird he seen in a field yesterday. At 6 I tree yelp and boom a gobble 100 yards ne of us. Well we move around the direction he gobbled from and I yelp again and he gobbles. at 615 I do a fly down call and the next gobble he was on the ground. I called one more time and he gobbled about 30 yards away below us out of sight and then boom there he was. I told my partner it was his turn to kill one since I shot one Monday. So the bird came to full strut and drummed and as soon as he turned around my buddy killed him at 6:25. That was the earliest bird we have killed. It happened pretty fast.

angelzd28

Went out Saturday morning with my dad at my grandpas farm and had all kinds of action but no dice. We heard 4 or five different birds gobbling all morning, but couldn't bring them into range. We then moved to the large field that is bisected by a stream that runs into a pond. This is where most of the gobbling was happening. Well wouldn't you know it, there was a big ole tom, a jake and two hens with them. They were on the opposite hillside of the creek and moving our way. We called inside the tree line, but these birds were not coming away from those hens and eventually head off our property. In hind sight we should have hit the field up before sunrise and got the jump on them, once they got to the field with those hens we were done. Gonna hit it again next weekend with a better plan. As always stay safe everyone and good luck.