Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

new regs for deer season.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Wish I could figure out how to post the link, it's on the dnr site. In a nut shell, there are only 10 ounces where antlerless permits will be available, no early antlerless muzzy, statewide limit goes from 9 to 6, bringing back bonus gun at the end of december.

Looks like someone is finally figuring it out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here we go LOL. They haven't figured anything out. Smoke and mirrors.

Yep. If you have a garden with 100 tomatoes that produces 10 a day, you can eat 10 and maintain the population at 100. If it has 50 tomatoes and produces 5 a day and you're eating 5 then your maintain the population at 50. A reduction in limit doesn't mean anything.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. If you have a garden with 100 tomatoes that produces 10 a day, you can eat 10 and maintain the population at 100. If it has 50 tomatoes and produces 5 a day and you're eating 5 then your maintain the population at 50. A reduction in limit doesn't mean anything.
A reduction in antlerless tags means something doesn't it?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A reduction in antlerless tags means something doesn't it?

Not really. A reduction in availability and cost of tags isn't going to do any favors for hunters or the deer population. It's simply maintains the low population and increasing revenue for a DNRs that's having budget concerns. A reduction of cheap tags doesn't mean squat really. It's smoke and mirrors. They'll claim they're doing it because they're listening etc. Per Tonk the reality is most hunters aren't smart enough to realize it's meaningless.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's not simply a reduction... Those antlerless tags are pretty much gone for the majority of the state. To say that will do no favors to the deer population seems senseless to me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Stark county got dropped from a 4 deer county to a 3. We are still able to buy an antler less tag. Going from 4 to 3 won't help any IMO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
It's not simply a reduction... Those antlerless tags are pretty much gone for the majority of the state. To say that will do no favors to the deer population seems senseless to me.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. We are not being encouraged to shoot does any more. They don't care if we do, but it isn't a priority any more.

I'm not sure what any body's idea of the perfect set of regs would be, but you have to admit, this is an improvement over the last few years. The dnr isn't interested in rebounding the herd, but it looks like they might be taking steps to level it off and maintain what we have now.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Reduction, elimination, however you would like the phrase it does no favor for our current deer population except to slow the decimation or maintain the low number. It does nothing to benefit hunters who are dealing with deer numbers far far below what they saw 5-6 years ago. The lowering of tags by the DNR is an illusion to hunters that the DNR cares or is listening. Per Tonk it doesn't mean anything in the scope of things and most hunters aren't smart enough to figure that out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I find it interesting that the addition of the $15 antlerless tags led to an increase in overall archery harvest, yet removing said $15 tags will have no effect on the population.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I find it interesting that the addition of the $15 antlerless tags led to an increase in overall archery harvest, yet removing said $15 tags will have no effect on the population.

It's not hard to understand. Read the below again.

If you have a garden with 100 tomatoes in it that produces 10 a day, you can eat 10 and maintain the population at 100.

If you have a garden that has 50 tomatoes and produces 5 a day, and you're eating 5 a day, then you're maintaing the population at 50. A reduction in tags doesn't mean anything. You're eating half of what you used to, just because you stopped eating the extra 5 tomatoes doesn't mean squat. Those tags existed to kill. Those deer have been killed. The deer that those tags existed for in the past no longer exist. If the deer no longer exist, then removing the tags doesn't mean anything.

It's like if you showed a movie in a theatre with 100 seats. You could sell 100 tickets per showing. You could sell tickets for 24 bucks and 15 bucks. After a few weeks you're only filling 50 seats, so you move the movie to a smaller theatre with only 50 seats, if you stop selling the 15 dollar tickets nothing's really changed. Those tickets are for seats that no longer exist.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I think this is the way its going to be from now on. They have the heard where they want it. It will never be what it once was. Were all just going to have to get use to seeing and killing less deer.
I for one am glad they did away with the antlerless permits in my area. I waste $15 on them every year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think this is the way its going to be from now on. They have the heard where they want it. It will never be what it once was. Were all just going to have to get use to seeing and killing less deer.
I for one am glad they did away with the antlerless permits in my area. I waste $15 on them every year.

Not necessarily true. If the hunters raise enough hell and start to become a voice to be reckoned with then it will change. If hunters get to a point that they demand the deer program manager responsible be removed, the next one will be a little more cautious of screwing hunters. Really this falls on the back of our so called hunters organizations that claim to be for hunters. Yet not a one has stuck their nose in it for fear of angering their buddies at the DNR. The first sportsmans organization to take on our DNR and turn up the heat will receive my endorsement. Until then I would urge everyone not to give any of them a single red cent because they're just full of hot air.

Jamie

Ohio
Joe, are you sure that encouraging your obsequious followers here to not support hunting organizations is a good idea? Every sportsman's organization that I can think of does quite a lot more than lobby state wildlife agencies on behalf of their membership with respect to whitetail deer management. The ODNR is likely as dismissive of the leaders of hunting organizations as they are of you and me, anyway.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe, are you sure that discouraging your obsequious followers here to not support hunting organizations is a good idea? Every sportsman's organization that I can think of does quite a lot more than lobby state wildlife agencies on behalf of their membership with respect to whitetail deer management. The ODNR is likely as dismissive of the leaders of hunting organizations as they are of you and me, anyway.

The negative impact the ODNR had on deer hunting and hunters in the past four years is more than PETA and the HSUS has in their entire history. HSUS and PETA can only dream of negatively impacting our sport as much as the DNR has. Yet these hunters rights organizations purposefully ignore it day after day, instead they continue to claim they're fighting the antis. The antis were not the real threat, the antis were not the ones implementing a deer management plan with the full knowledge that it will cause people to hunt. How many first deer has the DNR prevented a new hunter from killing, how many deer could a kid have seen and gotten hooked on our sport. How many kids have lost interest in hunting because in their area deer hunting is practically a waste of time.

While watching the fox these organizations willingly stood by and let the wolf decimate the hen house. As even while it was happening they continue to say the fox is the biggest threat, or the fox is the problem. The real problem is the watchmen is in bed with the wolf and the wolf can operate with impunity from the watchman.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Even with the tomato analogy making sense, I don't fully agree. Hunters are seeing it. Local hunters talk. Seeing a reduction in tag numbers or reduced priced tags will make hunters seeing low deer numbers think twice. It won't help a ton but will slowly turn around. Much like "you've gotta shoot does" took a bit to sink in, the "gotta back off the does" will take a bit to sink in. It will catch on though. Just might see another 5-10yrs to rebound much. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.