Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody else get a follow up deer survey?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Haven't seen one in my inbox yet. What kind of info is it looking for?

They just wanted to know how long I waited to look for my deer, did I have any other deer present an ethical shot opportunity, how many deer I shot at. It was an archery hunting follow up for this past season. From what I gathered they are trying to get a number of hit and lost deer to try to add in the % lost to the total harvest numbers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wasn't real impressed with the questions. Seems like it was pretty black and white. Did I take a second shot? Yep. I will take a second shot every time if given the opportunity, archery or gun.

They asked if you missed any shots. Asked if hunting from ground or tree stand. How far away were the shots taken? How far did the deer travel? Asked if more than one shot was taken at each deer harvested? If you shot an arrow at one, did you hit it? Did you recover it? Morning hunt, midday, or evening hunt? Probably some other questions I am forgetting.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems like a decent survey to me. Finally someone actually trying to quantify how many whackers are really out there toting archery gear.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seems like a decent survey to me. Finally someone actually trying to quantify how many whackers are really out there toting archery gear.

That and I wonder if they are also trying to find out just how many crossbows are out there and the roll it's playing in the archery season. I could see a few different things from this one survey that could be useful information. Weather that information is hurtful or helpful we will just have to wait and see I guess.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, they also asked what type archery gear was used.

Agreed. There is some good which could come out of this. Sadly, I hesitantly answered these questions. Believing the ODNR has good intentions was my hang up. This isn't a jab at the ODNR employees I see on the ground. Local ODNR people have been helpful to me. Their superiors making the rules are the ones who scare me.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Got it and completed it.

I anticipate seeing a summary that harvest is down because we passed on deer rather than shooting them.