Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lima gunshow

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Went up at 5:00 AM this morning to setup with the wife and 2 grandsons. Had a great show and tore down and came home at 4:00 PM.
Daniel stopped by 2 times for nice visits as I had some spare time this month. He picked my tired mine of less than 2 hrs. of sleep on a handgun for groundhogs.
I recommended a Rock Island 1911 style pistol in 22 TCM. I explained the 22 TCM shoots a 40 gr. 22 caliber bullet out of a 5" pistol barrel at 2000 FPS. That would be plenty for groundhogs up to 100 yds. and for coyote. The ammo is cheap enough at about $25-28 per 50 rounds. Easy to reload also.
I'm well pleased with my pistol and rifle.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
How much pistol powder is around? Glad you had a good show and that TCM is an interesting round. Better than the 5.7 IMHO

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Pistol powder is a tough find and costly at around 30.00 pound.

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I have powder to last me for a long time but i'm short on lead lol. Whats the going price these days for 200 grain SWCer's and 230 grain LRN for .45 auto?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
45 caliber lead bullets are right at 10 cents each. It's next impossible to buy excellent cast lead bullets that wont lead your barrel. I cast my own out of wheel weights in a ratio of (5-1) 5 lbs. clean wheel weight and 1 lb. of linotype. I can shoot that ratio and never clean the barrel of lead deposits. I sold my last Ruger Redhawk and it had over 5000 full loads through it and I had to never cleaned the barrel of lead deposits.
I knew a local company that did casting but don't now and their bullets were better than need be. When I bought the friends estate last month I got about 10K of those bullets so I'm good to go for a while. I'm shooting alot more now so will burn through those in a hurry.
If my R&D work slows down I may get one of their auto casting and auto sizing machines and cast premium bullets part-time. Their bullets were sold on a money back guarentee and they never had to take any back.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thanks for the info Frank!!! I have been shooting mastercast and some Penn bullets but with the speed of the 45 have never had any leading issues with them but was just looking to find some statwide maybe. If you ever get that auto caster ill have to give some a try if you start selling.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Wow just had a flash back while going through my supplies. Found some 38 148 grain wadcutters with a 17.00$ price on them for 500. Now wheres that time machine lol!!! Another good hand gun for varmint hunting and what i cut my teeth on is a T/C Contender in 22 hornet. Mine has the super 14 bull barrel and is great on ground hogs and other critters.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow just had a flash back while going through my supplies. Found some 38 148 grain wadcutters with a 17.00$ price on them for 500. Now wheres that time machine lol!!! Another good hand gun for varmint hunting and what i cut my teeth on is a T/C Contender in 22 hornet. Mine has the super 14 bull barrel and is great on ground hogs and other critters.

Yes times have changed in reloading supplies. Several years ago I took 2000 lbs. of those lead bullets to every gunshow. I've shot and owned more TC Contender's than I wish to admit to. Shot 100 yd. NRA SIL for years. Ended up with the 30 M1 carbine 10" barrel shooting a RCBS 165 gr. SIL lead bullet at 1500 FPS. It would shoot less than a 1" groups at 100 yds. off benched sand bags. Still have it with a 4x10 power Weaver rifle scope on it set with a 45 degrees slant.
Got my 10" bull barrel in 221 Fireball for sale now at the gunshow. Keeping my 375 JDJ barrel that I took a one shot elk with in WY. Also keeping my 10" bull 22LR match barrel but I don't really know why.

Funny thing happened at the gunshow as I had my 45LC-410 barrel for sale. It didn't sell so I took it back the next month. I couldn't find my for sales card so I made up a new one for 200.00 and sold it. Packing up at the show end and found the old sales card for 175.00 so that worked out well. LOL