Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blast from the past...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
While waiting on Christmas dinner to finish, the story of my great-grand father shooting a chicken hawk out of the air came up. When he was 7 years old in 1900, he used this Hopkins & Allen Arms .22 to snipe a chicken hawk out of mid air. When I was 7 years old in 1989, I fired my first gun and that shot happened to be the last shot ever fired from this gun. Kinda of a cool piece of history that I thought I'd share with you all. When my old man passes on, this gun will be handed down to me so I can pass on the legendary "chicken hawk rifle" to my son some day. Assuming I have one that is!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have my grandfather's shotgun and deer rifle.... lots of deer and small game stories told from the front porch of my grandparents house during summer breaks as a kid I'd sit there and just be amazed by how much fun he had and.couldn't wait.to be older to start hunting but he passed before it could come to fruition I really looked forward to it and wish it could of happened ... my dad never got into it although my grandad tried getting him to go out.....

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I have my grandpa's 16 ga. single shot shotgun. If you are like me you will cherished above all the others.

I actually have one I cherish more than this one. My first gun was a 1940's era Mossberg bolt-action .22 that belonged to my great-grand father on my mother's side. Me and that gun have been around the world it seems! I've never touched the scope (original to the gun) and its won me money on two different occasions. I actually sold my Ruger 10/22 because this Mossberg would old shoot it any day. It will punch Washington in the head at 50 yards if you tape a quarter to the target. Last year, I shot a rabbit through the ears at 107 yards with it. I never shot a gun that shoots like this one. There's just something about it and it's my most cherished gun hands down.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No kidding. A gun that makes you shoot better than you really are. Not saying this is the case with Jesse, but it would be with me. lol