Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Treestand cover ideas

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We have mostly ladder stands with a shooting rail. Some of our spots offer us no cover. I feel like im sticking out like a sore thumb in some of them.
We were thinking about wrapping the stands with a camo type material from the shooting rail down to the platform. I'm hoping to get some good ideas from TOO.
Also what is a good material to use for this. Something that will last a couple years?

Thanks for any help. Jake

I have never been a big fan of using the material on ladder stands. They stick out enough, let alone adding a big box on top of it to draw the attention of every critter. That's just my opinion though, at least when it comes to hunting older bucks. For me on any of the ladder stand sets we have if they are in the least bit open (try to select a clump of trees or a tree with good background first) we cut leafed out oak branches to use. On the tree itself we have used a bungee cord around the tree and start filling the sides with a few leafy branches. You may need a second one up higher to help hold those branches up against your tree and keep them secure. On the stand itself we zip tie smaller leafy branches on the edges of the platform, seat legs, etc. anything to help break up your outline. Once you are done I like to take a couple pictures of the stand from places deer would likely be standing and see if there are any holes that need filled AND to determine what camo is best in that stand. I have some where any camo would work and others where I would make sure I had an open pattern like Predator or Vertigo camo.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now I on the other hand think the opposite. In 2013 I put full enclosure blinds on my 2 two man ladder stands. The deer ( several bucks) just walked by me at 20 yds. and never knew I was there. I'm 100% sold on the idea. I got the blinds from Phil in Lima.
The only drawback was I couldn't shoot behind me but in both places that wasn't an problem as I never seen deer in the thick brush and was setting on well traveled trails.
IMHO

I hunt out of 2 hunting towers and I've never noticed the deer to pay any attention to them. If the deer don't see any movement I assume they think the towers 8x8x8 are just big trees. Not a expert but I think if a deer doesn't see movement there's not much concern to a big bump in a tree.

Last edited:
I hunt out of 2 hunting towers and I've never noticed the deer to pay any attention to them. If the deer don't see any movement I assume they think the towers 8x8x8 are just big trees. Not a expert but I think if a deer doesn't see movement there's not much concern to a big bump in a tree.

I can see that. I also think if you are going to use fabric of some sort it's best to get it in place long before deer season so they can get used to it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I can see that. I also think if you are going to use fabric of some sort it's best to get it in place long before deer season so they can get used to it.

I do agree on putting up early for the deer get used to the new blind. But I got busy and it was only 5 days before season when I installed the blinds and the bucks walked right past me at 20 yds. So I'm not sure if 5 days is a long time or a short time. Maybe in the future if I have to move a stand I'll find out about if it makes a difference.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I saw lots of deer from my ground blind last year and a couple nice bucks. It was pretty noticeable and stood out plenty but I put it out pretty early and I think they just got used to it. Maybe I just have stupid deer though lol.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
When my big ass get in a stand it looks like a big blob up there anyway. I'd rather it look that way all the time. I want to have this done by June.
We have used oak and cedar limbs but they only last a year. I'd like to use a heavy camo material. Not sure what the best material is.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any wrap you put around it will make it more noticeable. Yea it will hide you but the hide itself will stick out. Doesn't matter what camo pattern or color... From a distance it just looks like a dark blob. If you're insistent on using ladder stands, put "dummy hunters" up in them during the off season. Something that imitates the profile of a human. Like a scarecrow, or just a wood cut-out.

Jal5

I've had many deer come within 20 yds of my ladder stand with a simple camo skirt hanging from the rail. They stay browsing all around for a long time. Never had that in the years prior to using a skirt.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We put camo netting on ours that we purchase from the army/navy store.
After that i cut back the neighbors ornamental grasses or cut some switchgrass out of the field and ziptie small bundles of it to the camo netting and also down the whole length of the ladder.
Really blends it in well and just looks like a part of the woods.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If I said it once I'll say it again. I'm a firm believer that deer don't give a damn about a big blob in a tree if it isn't moving. Been using ladder stands for 25 plus years and deer don't give a second look at a hunter even wearing hunter orange setting still in a tree. Move and all bets are off.
I'll even go so far to say if a deer spots you that hunter moved and it wasn't a big blob up in a tree in plain sight.
IMHO