Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

struting jake decoys

carbonarcher

Is a strut jake to dominate because it being a struter or will it get a tom in 4 a fight ? I will have him infront of a breeding positioned hen anyone else use this setup?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Ive had more luck with a strutting jake than a non strutting jake. Decoys are definitely the way to go as long as they are visible.
Good luck this season.

I would be apt to say that people base the effectiveness of decoys based on previous experience mine of which has been pretty horrific (they typically high tail it as soon as they spot the decoy)............

I have used an array of both quality brands and cheap, hens/jakes/gobblers, various positions/groupings, etc.... of which I can honestly say the only even interest I have ever had was on a lone full strut gobbler but my issue with that is I have also had a lot of hunter interest with guys sneaking up on my setup so buyer beware.

My personal opinion would be to learn the birds you plan to hunt. If they are very low pressured birds and could be assumed to have limited or no experience being hunted then decoys are probably a good tactic. Alternatively if you think there has been hunting pressure in the past I would say leer away from decoys as they seem to have a "Fool me once" attitude. There are a lot of other strategies that can be used to effectively kill a turkey its all a matter of doing your homework and learning from your own experiences.

aaronc

dayton
I bought a full strut tom decoy in 2010. I have yet to have a gobbler see it and not come in. I bet I have watched 20+ die over it. He has been nicknamed the coroner. I have yet to see a gobbler spook from a very "dominant decoy". Not saying it doesn't happen but I think its the exception in my experience.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Either hen, Jake, or Tom turkey decoys only work for me when the grandsons are setting beside me. I've never killed a Tom over decoys when hunting by myself. The 3 Toms I've killed all have been a luck of the draw.
I've had many Toms come to my decoys but never got a shot. But I will someday and I'll always use decoys.

carbonarcher

Now that's what I want to hear.ijust got the peep"n tom and pretty heny I can make the one have another head peeping his head over the other so it looks like thers two not sure ill use it or not.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I guess I'm the minority in that I have only ever killed a couple birds with a decoy even out . I'll usually carry it if I know I'm gonna be starting on a field edge but I rarely even carry it if i strike out at first light . Guess it is just my hunting style I suppose.

JPN

coshocton
I guess I'm the minority in that I have only ever killed a couple birds with a decoy even out . I'll usually carry it if I know I'm gonna be starting on a field edge but I rarely even carry it if i strike out at first light . Guess it is just my hunting style I suppose.

Same with me. I don't use them in the woods. Only time I'll set them up is if I'm set up in a field.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I don't use them in the woods either. I have had birds look at my strutter with a real jake fan and my very realistic Dakota semi strut jake and then turn and go the other way on a field edge. To me it's just what mood their in and what they have seen before.