Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Atv dealers

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ok I have never bought one so I'm looking for recommendations on dealers to deal with. I'm looking at Hondas exclusively at this point. Any negatives? How much do they move on prices? Really a rookie here so any tips and BS to watch out for appreciated. I'm buying new if I do get one.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure on dealers but look for any leftover previous year models. My dad bought a leftover 2013 in 2014 for a song. He went with a Suzuki king quad 750 BTW... And it's a fuggin sweet machine. They actually had it sent over from another dealer too.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks Jim. Did you ask for a leftover or did they present it to you? I got the car dealer thing down I just don't know ho much they move on atv prices.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They had a leftover 400 in stock that they pitched to him. When he said he wanted a camo 750, they started searching. They definitely wanted the old stock gone. They discounted the price pretty heavily and gave him 0% APR.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
0% APR is always a good thing.... Use their money.... If they won't budge on price see if they'll throw in some accessories.... Start with a plow and work down lol....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There is a dealer in the small back-woods town of Rarden. I've had them do some work on mine, but as you may recall I bought mine from Wyn. Look them up. My FIL used to be a motorcycle nut and bought all of his bikes from them. He said they had the best pricing in the state.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks brick. I found a dealer in minster that has some prices That Look decent.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Minster isn't far from me.

Once you pick out a model you are looking for, don't be afraid to check out ebay. Might give you some bargaining power with local dealers if there are 2-3-4 ebay dealers with better pricing. I would say you can't go wrong with Honda. I have heard no negatives for a utility quad from them. Don't get caught up on huge displacement. 400-500cc is all most people ever need.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Minster isn't far from me.

Once you pick out a model you are looking for, don't be afraid to check out ebay. Might give you some bargaining power with local dealers if there are 2-3-4 ebay dealers with better pricing. I would say you can't go wrong with Honda. I have heard no negatives for a utility quad from them. Don't get caught up on huge displacement. 400-500cc is all most people ever need.
I can't totally disagree with you... I think 4-500cc probably is enough for most applications. But I used to think anything over 500 was a waste too... Up until I sat on a 750 and ran it a few times. Now, if I were buying one for myself, I'd get one of the big ones in a heartbeat. Pushing snow with the plow and running through deep drifts on the lake was effortless on my dads 750. Night and day difference between it and the 400s I rode on this winter IMO. But of course, so is the difference in price usually.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No arguments from me whatsoever on this one jagermeister. Like I said, it is all "most" people ever need. My personal opinion only: Get into the price range of the larger ATVs and you might as well buy a small used tractor. I would take a 25-30hp tractor over a 800-900cc ATV. Just opinion. Sadly, a 25-30hp tractor would only wet your whistle and make you go out and buy a 35-45hp tractor in a few years. lmao

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm only looking at 4-500. My kids will be on this bike at some point and they don't need to mess with all that power.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Get the 5 milo. I had a 250 350 before and believe you will like the 500 better for all around use. Electronic shift is nice when kids are involved too.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Get the 5 milo. I had a 250 350 before and believe you will like the 500 better for all around use. Electronic shift is nice when kids are involved too.

Is it better to have foot shift or thumb shift rick?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I prefer the electronic shift. Many of the hondas have both electronic and automatic in one. My Rincon is and I love it. If your holding something and only have one hand, throw it in auto and go. Kids on it, you can put it in electric shift and rpm will limit their speed. I've had 3 Honda's now and NEVER had a problem with any of them. Regular maintenance is all I've done.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I prefer the electronic shift. Many of the hondas have both electronic and automatic in one. My Rincon is and I love it. If your holding something and only have one hand, throw it in auto and go. Kids on it, you can put it in electric shift and rpm will limit their speed. I've had 3 Honda's now and NEVER had a problem with any of them. Regular maintenance is all I've done.
Would that thing your holding in one hand be a beer rick?rotflmao.. I'm looking at the fourtrax Forman 500

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
No sir. Beers are for the house. (could be fun though) Biggest thing is the crossbow. Don't like it getting banged around. My buddy got a fourtrax 500 and loves it. Get a green one though.....Something about the Red or White that just says I'm a city hunter. rotflmao

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had some issues with the Rancher we had with electronic shift. Wished it had foot shifter at that point. Ended up having some mud, crud, corrosion in the elec shift mechanism. Makes me think the previous owner did serious mudding in the 300miles he owned it. Then again, we used it to plow snow. Electronic shift gives "potential" for problems. Used to work and kept clean, I would imagine potential for issues would be reduced. Spreading salt, plowing snow with them opens them up to issues you shouldn't have. Plowing snow in your driveway isn't the same as the plowing we used it for. Ours plowed for hours at a time. I haven't heard of others having issues. Our issues never took place until the quad was 6-7yrs old FWIW.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
My opinion is nothing smaller then a 500 with 4 wheel drive. I also agree with trying to find a leftover model. I bought my rincon as a leftover and saved almost 2800. I also love Hondas electric shift or the automatic option all in one. Other things to look at are the indepedent rear suspinsion it is a must IMO. Power steering is also another option but I'm not sure Honda has it. Mine doesn't and at times think it would be a handy feature. Most prices are msrp but if you can get the extras thrown in such as a plow or baskets for racks or winch that means something to bargain with. The extras arnt cheap. Good luck on your investment.