Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Proposed changes.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427034188113.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427034188113.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 104

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
At least the Youth season is where it belongs. For moving ML season a week later is BS. Either Holiday travel or deer hunt in my book.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guys with muzzleloaders can still tote they're muzzys in the woods Dec 28 and 29 if they want to. Why any muzzy hunter would complain is beyond me.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Guys with muzzleloaders can still tote they're muzzys in the woods Dec 28 and 29 if they want to. Why any muzzy hunter would complain is beyond me.

While I do agree, why is the muzzy season later? I'd just rather it be between Christmas and New Years like back in the ole days so less bucks are getting killed that were mistaken for does because they already shed.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
While I do agree, why is the muzzy season later? I'd just rather it be between Christmas and New Years like back in the ole days so less bucks are getting killed that were mistaken for does because they already shed.
Wish I knew for sure. My guess is they just wanted more separation between seasons.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I see no other reason unless some of the top DOW employees have vacation time then. I enjoy a separate ML season if I need it. I'm a handgun hunter at heart but do like the new PCR rules during gun season. But the last couple years bow hunting is 1st in line and only gun hunt if need to fill my tags for my brothers who can't hunt.
ML season between Christmas and New Years is great time for Youths to hunt since school is out.

I only take 2 deer per year on my tags and either keep one or give both away.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I see no other reason unless some of the top DOW employees have vacation time then. I enjoy a separate ML season if I need it. I'm a handgun hunter at heart but do like the new PCR rules during gun season. But the last couple years bow hunting is 1st in line and only gun hunt if need to file tags for my brothers who can't hunt.
ML season between Christmas and New Years is great time for Youths to hunt since school is out.

Excellent point as well!

I wished they would have moved the youth season to early October as they had proposed earlier.

I was actually looking forward to it changing for my kids this year.

Surprising how many of these 'proposed changes' we are seeing already though and how different they are compared to each other. Sure makes you wonder who's coming up with all this stuff and what really will end up happening.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm glad they changed the youth season back. It would of been mostly does killed during the middle of October. As far as the gun and muzzy, I think adding that extra weekend was bs and pushing the muzzy to a later date might kill some early shed bucks. The holiday travel excuse is ridiculous IMO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You fill your brothers tags?

My guess is that Frank bought extra tags or used landowners tags and if he filled them he gave the meat to his brothers after he tagged the deer.....that's how I interpreted it anyway. Kinda like "feed the hungry" but it's family.lol

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You fill your brothers tags?

No!!! I use my tags to take deer for my 2 brothers who can't hunt. I only need a deer every other year. In 2014 I kept one and gave the other one away. Same thing in 2013 but I gave both away. I have no use for 2 deer per year but enjoy hunting.
I buy a license and deer tag so I can hunt on the neighbors property then use a landowner on my property. Some years I take both deer on my property and eat the regular tag. I do follow the law.

lung buster

hocking county
I'm glad it looks like youth season will remain where it should be! No need for an extra gun weekend imo! Don't really care where muzzy falls as my kids and I will hunt if need be.

Bigcountry40

I like this better, late gun will be 28th and 28th monday and tuesday. Fine with me noone will be in the woods except high school kids and teachers like myself