Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grow em big new deer land management show

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I watched and it looks like something I'd like too keep an eye on..... Thanks for sharing Frank.....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Been hoping for more of these types. Had dream of doing my own but just don't have the time or resume that anyone would listen to me I'll be a customer/viewer.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What channel? Or how are you tuning in?

Deer and Deer Hunting magazine sent me a email link to the Youtube. I've been reading the magazine off and on for 30 yrs. It was my go to for deer hunting info until I found the TOO site. I must say I learned more good ideas about deer hunting off TOO site in the last 3 yrs. than I did in the previous 45 yrs. of deer hunting.
Deer and Deer Hunting magazine is to me a great read and a cut way above any other hunting rags. It is almost a research report in many areas. IMHO

I hope this new show stays on track in the future. The one point he made about food plots was that you don't have to have a large acreage to make a difference. I found this out in the last 2 yrs. of planting plots of only 3.0 ac. My farm adjoins a 110 ac. horse hay planting that has large areas of cedar and brush draws for deer honey holes. The neighbor doesn't want anyone hunting on the property in person but permits me to shoot onto the property in one hay field.
So I have to pull the deer of his hay crop to my property by planting a choice food plot. The deer almost have no reason to leave his property except to get a different feed. I know deer can live on hay alone and they sure love clover. Plus during the dead of winter when the hay drys up my green forage oats is a great draw.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Deer and Deer Hunting magazine sent me a email link to the Youtube. I've been reading the magazine off and on for 30 yrs. It was my go to for deer hunting info until I found the TOO site. I must say I learned more good ideas about deer hunting off TOO site in the last 3 yrs. than I did in the previous 45 yrs. of deer hunting.Deer and Deer Hunting magazine is to me a great read and a cut way above any other hunting rags. It is almost a research report in many areas. IMHO

And the price is right..... :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Frank, can you just add the links too this post??? It'll keep it going and confined too the single post....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The real deal issue in food plots is cover. Deer will be drawn to cover WAY more than food. Don't let them BS you on these shows. It's relatively easy for deer to find something to eat....its way harder to find a consistent place to hide.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The real deal issue in food plots is cover. Deer will be drawn to cover WAY more than food. Don't let them BS you on these shows. It's relatively easy for deer to find something to eat....its way harder to find a consistent place to hide.

I for one am lucky on the cover aspect. All my food plots are 100% surrounded by heavy over grown brush. The deer feeding in my plots feel secure.
Plus I've noticed the deer are drawn to my plots because of the good tasting selections I plant. About the only thing available real close is hay or natural plants. And when I see deer every time come out of the brush and walk across the hay field without taking a bite to feed in my plots I know I have something special going on in the way of food plot plantings.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Trying to understand. Then are you saying be more concerned about planting cover rather than food plots?
That could be the case in the wide open farm land up north. But down here in SW Ohio we have more brush cover area than we know what to do with. Food draw is the key for me and it's been working the last 2 yrs. I've seen more deer on my farm in 2 yrs. than I've seen total in 21 yrs. and it the food plot drawing the deer here.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Trying to understand. Then are you saying be more concerned about planting cover rather than food plots?
That could be the case in the wide open farm land up north. But down here in SW Ohio we have more brush cover area than we know what to do with. Food draw is the key for me and it's been working the last 2 yrs. I've seen more deer on my farm in 2 yrs. than I've seen total in 21 yrs. and it the food plot drawing the deer here.
yes cover will hold and draw more deer than food. Food is secondary to cover in almost all terms. seeing more deer is great frank. but we are talking about Big Deer as this show is dedicated too.

Last edited:
yes cover will hold and draw more deer than food. Food is secondary to cover in almost all terms. seeing more deer is great frank. but we are talking about Big Deer as this show is dedicated too.

I agree with you on this Milo. All the talk about hinge cutting these days and all and how important cover is to HOLD deer is what I have been looking at for being the main reason deer seem to vanish as the season goes along.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hinge cutting is joke too. Makes no sense.. Let's slowly kill a tree and then let it fall over and smash perfectly good trees. Put the dam things on the ground, make a brush pile and put the wood to use.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hinge cutting is joke too. Makes no sense.. Let's slowly kill a tree and then let it fall over and smash perfectly good trees. Put the dam things on the ground, make a brush pile and put the wood to use.

Well at least we agree on one thing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

I feel victim to this. It was a joke for sure. Kinda pissed I did it now...

I feel victim to this. It was a joke for sure. Kinda pissed I did it now...

IDK if you did wrong Jesse. I've met a guy a while back that absolutely swears by hinge cutting and the benefits it provides for whitetails and other animals. Proof is in the pudding with the land they have there in Ohio that they have hinge cut a good portion of. When any pressure amounts on surrounding property they are the one place the deer, namely big bucks, flock to in his words. Sure you are wasting wood and losing potential $$ from timber but if your only goal is to improve habitat for HOLDING deer then it is hard to beat it. What about it do you feel you screwed up by doing it??

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It has been 3 years and there is little sign what I did really mattered. The maples I cut, did not regenerate any browse like you'll some trees do. The area where I opened up the canopy is yet to produce any browse. I basically have a big mess in the woods. My plan in the coming weeks is to back and cut up all those trees and use them to create a funnel. I'll cut more down to open up the canopy further and hope in 5-10 years, I see the fruits of my labor. We need cover on that side of the farm in the worst way.