Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2015 Season Journal

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hard to believe it is time to start thinking about, and preparing for, yet another deer season. This coming fall will be a special one for me as it marks the 10th season since dad bought the farm in late October 2005. I was fresh out of college, ate up with deer and stoked to become the southern Ohio version of Mark Drury. Boy did I get an education! :smiley_blackeye:

It is amazing how things change in a decade and for me, life is completely different at 32 as it was at 22. Gone is the disposable income of an unmarried, young professional. Same with all that spare time that comes with life without kids. And fading fast is the burning desire to chase mature whitetails with every fiber of my being. I have a few spare coins, not much time and a burning desire to hunt ducks, not deer. However much like the crazy ex-girlfriend that you keep banging even though you know it is a bad idea, deer keep worming their way back in to my life. I think it was easier to stop smoking than it has been to stop focusing on deer!

And so it goes... another year, another attempt at fulfilling a dream I thought would come fairly easy back in 2005: Kill a mature (OBB qualifying) buck off our farm. I know last season's preferred target buck made it through the season unscathed and at 4 years old, he'll be my #1 regardless of score. So this last weekend I kicked things off with a shed/scouting trip to see what was shaking since I hadn't stepped foot out there in nearly 10 weeks. Per usual, I left empty handed in the shed department, but it was not a wasted trip. From the looks of things, the numbers are on the rebound. The last doe killed off our place (and the adjoining land - 130 acres) was on opening day in 2011. I found some great evidence that a couple big bodied deer made it through, one of which I hope is Darryl Dawkins. I snapped a few pics of the better trails I found:

I watched this rub go down in November. The same evening I had my encounter with Darryl, he crossed the creek here and hit this rub.

This was an unexpected trail as I don't normally see much activity on this side of the farm. Deer must be holing up on the neighbor's and crossing over to hit my foot plots.

This has always been one of the best trails on the farm. It follows an E/W shelf on the N side of our creek. It connects bedding/oak flat with corn/beans. I rarely hunt up there due to access. Last year I did some hinge cutting up there to thicken up the cover. So far I'm not impressed...

My dad sent me a text last Friday that read: 6 deer in the big plot. Let's build a shooting house.

Sunday is our weekly family dinner and over dinner we talked about the shooting house. He wants to build it in a place I'm not sold on, but it will work with a few changes to my food plot layout. And since he's footing the bill, I'll live with it! He is securing 6" drill pipe for the legs and we will be building an 8' x 12' shooting house overlooking the intersection of the two hollers that define the entire layout of our farm. Right in front of the blind will be a nice clover plot with apple trees surrounding it. I'll plant the clover this fall and the trees next spring. With a home appraisal on my docket for later this summer and LONG list of shit to do before then, I can't spend much time improving the farm this year. However once I am done with the house, I'll free up time (and $) so that next year I can set a lot of habitat improvements in motion.

So stay tuned. Lots of good things to come from Sandridge Outfitters this year.

Sandridge Outfitters: Where we can fuck up an anvil with a rubber mallet...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice! Glad to hear you won't completely give up on the deer. Some of those paths are heavily used! That is great to see. The unexpected trail you found is EXACTLY the reason I love scouting this time of the year. Good stuff all around. Good luck this year Jesse.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's great to see the deer thriving once again on SR! I sure hope your surrounding neighborhood poaching pukes don't FUGG things up for you guys anymore!

Great pics of the deer sign buddy!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good too hear things are getting better down at your place Jesse..... Looking forward too your season.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We are officially out of the cattle business, which for me, is a good thing! The cows constantly infringed on the deer habitat and I was never a fan of expanding their run of the farm. They have been contained to a 4 acre field behind the barn the past few years. We used to see a bunch of deer feeding back there in the evenings, but that stopped once we cleared the brush along the property line to build new fence and turned the cows loose. The guy who is farming our place bought the cows and also delivered some good news. The pasture will get turned in to an alfalfa field this year. So on 80 acres we will have 4 acres of alfalfa, 4 acres of beans, a 5 acre hay field that is 70% red clover and my one acre of food plots. Super pumped to have a high quality source of protein on the farm that I don't have to mess with!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's going to be a great layout for deer.
But geez a 8x12 shooting house! But that'll give you room for the family to go along.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome stuff Jesse!!!! Plant a small apple,crabapple and persimmon orchard nearby and you'll have a deer hunters paradise!

Glad to hear things are looking up for ya!