Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Land Turkey's (Salt Fork, Wayne, West Branch, Berlin Lake)

I was wondering if anyone has ventured to the public land's of eastern Ohio in search of the sacred public land Toms. Unfortunately my current location (Barberton Ohio) has no presented me with a lot of opportunities to sight see for asking for private access as well as I am still somewhat timid of even trying.

This puts me in a position of having to resort to public land locations. I plan on taking a weekend here soon to go to one of these state parks to scout and was wondering if anyone else has heard much as far as good or bad related to any.

I had a buddy come from out of state to Wayne who said they were in a lot of action last year but didn't have any success.

Any advice would be appreicated

There are birds at both West Branch and Berlin. I'd pick West Branch hands down though. If you don't mind driving a while I'd suggest Egypt Valley in Belmont County.

Thanks Horton I don't want to bother to much but do you have any areas you would suggest to start as I have driven by it many times but never been actually in the woods there. More so locations that are best to enter from.

Also does it get pretty busy during turkey season or is there some room to move around?

If your talking Egypt Valley I haven't hunted there for a few years. My stepson took his boys there in youth season last spring. They heard birds every day, but never got them in gun range. Let me know whether you want info on Egypt Valley or West Branch. I'll PM you some GPS coordinates.

If your talking Egypt Valley I haven't hunted there for a few years. My stepson took his boys there in youth season last spring. They heard birds every day, but never got them in gun range. Let me know whether you want info on Egypt Valley or West Branch. I'll PM you some GPS coordinates.

Horton,

I greatly appreciate your willingness to help in that being new to Ohio I have not had a lot of opportunity to scout new property. Egypt Valley is probably a little further than I would like to travel so for now lets just stick with West Branch.

Again thank you for your help.

Jared

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Back when the youth season first started you could only take them on public ground. We took my son on Wayne National in Washington/Monroe counties close to the Ohio River. He got one both years...that was in 2001 and 2002. I haven't hunted there since but it was decent back then. I know it's farther than you want to go but it's another option.

Bigcountry40

Honestly I have hunted Woodbury in Coshocton County hard for deer for several years and have never seen a turkey. I know they are there, but have never seen one. I used to see turkey all over the place in Harrison County hunting public land during gun season. I think I am going to try a little public land turkey hunting in Harrison this year.

Thanks all for the reply. I have a few friends who have hunted Wayne that said the hunting was good but I would almost have to plan that as a weekend trip. Hoping I can find a few other locations besides the only spot I have permission to hunt as alternative options. The big thing is I have a pregnant wife so long drives (1+ hours) most likely will be out of the question.

Extra thanks to Hortontoter for the information.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Berlin has turkeys and they are spread out thru most all of the area. try also The Ladue-Auburn area.

Brush Creek has tons of birds if your willing to cross the creek and climb "mountains" and it never seems to be crowded.

Berlin has turkeys and they are spread out thru most all of the area. try also The Ladue-Auburn area.

Brush Creek has tons of birds if your willing to cross the creek and climb "mountains" and it never seems to be crowded.

Brush Creek as in down below Columbus?

Thanks for the input do you have any experience hunting Berlin at all? Is there any points of reference you could give me as to places to start or even local parking spots. This was actually where I planned on doing some scouting this weekend.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm pretty sure the Brush Creek he is speaking of is in Columbiana county. It is located just southwest of Salineville.

Jefferson/Columbiana county boarders..... Lots of land too hunt down there but it does have decent access..... You can access it off of Rte 164 I believe if you go too the DNR website you can download a map of it...... Bring your climbing boots as it's a lot more hilly than most NE Ohio......

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/Maps/Wildlife%20Area%20Maps/PDFs/brushcreek.pdf

Last edited:
I think another area may be wills creek down in Muskingum/Coshocton counties. It is around 20,000 acres of public land. I go down there during deer gun season on occasion. I would assume that you could turkey hunt there, possibly look into it. There's got to be gobblers down there! Maybe look into the AEP land in southern Ohio. There is a lot of public hunting land down in there as well. I think you need to get a permit to hunt AEP lands though.

Last edited: