Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2015 Season

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hate to start a shed thread. I found my first today. Guess I am being optimistic. Reality says the season doesn't look good. I have been out several times. I covered tons of ground today. I covered some of my spots I have found the most in the past and came up empty handed.

Here is my stud find today.
uploadfromtaptalk1426469179141.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426469224042.jpg

Cannot believe I never saw one in here. Almost every year I find a couple in here. Nice bedding area. Bummed.
uploadfromtaptalk1426469275923.jpg

Did find some nice rubs. Nothing on big trees but a couple decent clusters of rubs I will make mental note of. Great way to learn by getting out right now. I love it!
uploadfromtaptalk1426469408886.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426469453580.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426469497030.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully this is the case. Still packing would be ok. My fear is they simply yarded up and dropped where I have no access.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you can find those little ones you can find them all Phil. Just keep lookin!

Thanks Taylor. I was telling my daughter this and she just made fun of the tiny shed. It was in roughly 6-12" tall field grass. It was laying flat. If it were massive, anyone could have found it. She just kept teasing me about not finding any big sheds. Glad my 13yr old has a good sense of humor and enjoys teasing me. Some 13yr old girls have nothing to do with their parents.

Diablo54

Outside
Thanks Taylor. I was telling my daughter this and she just made fun of the tiny shed. It was in roughly 6-12" tall field grass. It was laying flat. If it were massive, anyone could have found it. She just kept teasing me about not finding any big sheds. Glad my 13yr old has a good sense of humor and enjoys teasing me. Some 13yr old girls have nothing to do with their parents.

Proof that she still likes you phil! Keep looking. One shed per 8 hours of looking. Unless you are a lucky ass like me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have around 6hrs in so far. Maybe a tad more. Guess I am ahead of the curve. I think it depends on where you have to shed hunt too. The more ground you have, the more hours you can put in. I only have so many places to shed hunt. Generally, there are a handful of areas I find the majority of my sheds. These areas can be covered fairly quickly. Kind of a bummer. Wish I had some more prime areas.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Erin talked about taking a walk at the park this morning. I laughed and said grab your muck boots. We hiked 1.5-2hrs covering all the field edges of the property I shed hunted last night. Got her across the creek alright with dry feet. Covered miles of prime field edges. Not a shed to be found. Rather disappointed. I am left scratching my head with only a small portion of the property not searched yet. It is prime thick stuff but I am not real optimistic at this point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully still packing in my neck of the woods too. Gives them a chance to break out of the yarded up groups and drop antlers in their residences. lmao

Maybe we should have saved walking all those miles and burnt calories at home while the kids were at school. Geesh. Sucks when your priorities get mixed up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good way to start buddy! Keep at it! I started real late this year due to the snow and only found 2 year old ones and a busted off rack so far. I walked a standing cornfield tonight(the only one around) and still got skunked! Lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Covered some serious ground today. Had a buddy along with me. I found one from last year. Probably a 1-2yr old deer when he dropped it. Cannot believe we didn't find one from this year. I did pull 2 camera cards. One buck still packing both sides on 3-18-15.uploadfromtaptalk1427063689379.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427063730009.jpg

I went looking on my property of 300 acres in Summit County and have not found a thing. Just keep on lookin! Hearing many reports of deer still carrying antlers depending on where you live, at least that's what I have heard in NE Ohio. Two buddies of mine found 2 up here in NW Ohio the other day. These lucky dudes weren't even looking for 10 minutes and they stumbled upon them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A sheds a shed Phil! It's a frustrating hobby that's for sure! Wish I had more time to look for them but not enough hours in the day I guess! Lol

Hoping to get out a few times this week though. Good luck on your next walk!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
thanks guys. Not complaining. Beautiful afternoon to get out and hoof it a few miles. Just a bit disappointing. We didn't spook up a single deer and covered a couple hundred acres. Not sure what to think. Back to the grind of work tomorrow and slide into the woods to shed hunt again when possible. I did make it out for 30-40 minutes on Friday as well. I am getting out when I can.

thanks guys. Not complaining. Beautiful afternoon to get out and hoof it a few miles. Just a bit disappointing. We didn't spook up a single deer and covered a couple hundred acres. Not sure what to think. Back to the grind of work tomorrow and slide into the woods to shed hunt again when possible. I did make it out for 30-40 minutes on Friday as well. I am getting out when I can.

Don't feel bad Phil, I walked my property yesterday didn't find squat. I saw a lot of fresh deer sign but no sheds. Like you said it was just nice to be out.