Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

20 gauge Turkey loads

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What loads do you all recommend in 3"?

I also need to buy a full choke or Turkey choke so what should I buy? Going on a rem 870.

freeboro

A couple years back I had a girlfriend that wanted to hunt. So we started with spring turkeys. I worked 3 long beards for half an hour while they were hung up at 60 yards and finally got them to break only to have her whiff with my SBE 12 gauge at 30 yards. She had the only gun. Digging through my gun safe I dug out my 20 gauge 870 wingmaster, a roll of camo tape for the barrel and a handful of high brass 6's. 1 shot confirmed it had a solid pattern at 25 yards so we headed for the woods the next Saturday.

I called in 2 jakes and told her they were both legal and to hammer one. My SBE was leaning against the blind wall when she dropped one DRT and it was so good an opportunity I grabbed the gun from her, jacked in another shell and leveled the other! Only time I've ever doubled on turkeys!

Those were 2 3/4" plain jane Remington high brass 6 shot out of a modified choked, 28" barrel and it killed those 2 birds stone dead at 20 yards.

Carlson's (i.e. also branded Hevi-Shot but same company) Dead Coyote or Dead Coyote II

Honestly probably the best hunting investment I have ever made.

As far as shells I have yet to find anything that I thought was a grade above anything else.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Don't know if Winchester is making the xr long beards in 20 gauge but I used them last year in my 12 and I killed a bird at 54 yards .They really are the real deal IMO. It will be the only turkey load I will shoot from here on out. I had over 100 pellets in a ten inch circle at 40.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Stopped at Cabelas, they didn't have any hevi shot in 20 on the racks but I will keep looking. Bought an extra full choke and the Turkey vest I have been eyeing for a few years. Also decided to pick up another slate call.

Most turkey shots are aimed at the birds head and neck. I've found that smaller sized shot (6 or 7 1/2) works well in the smaller gauges. I'm using 3" hulls with 7 1/2 shot in my .410. With 1 ounce or so of shot in a 3" 20 gauge you will probably be well served with nothing larger than 5's, but I think 6's or even 7 1/2's would be a better choice. I've yet to shoot at a turkey with my .410, but am quite confident out to 25 yards.

Huckleberry Finn

Stopped at Cabelas, they didn't have any hevi shot in 20 on the racks but I will keep looking. Bought an extra full choke and the Turkey vest I have been eyeing for a few years. Also decided to pick up another slate call.

Did you see the deal on Herter's 00 buck? 2 3/4 but they had 10 round boxes for 3.99? Bought a few, wonder if it shoots.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Another option is the high density federal loads . Like others stated , ya can kill em with about anything if they're close enough . But I would find some sorta high density non lead Turkey load in 6s or 7s and you'll be fine to 40 yds , if not a bit farther even .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use the Hevi-shot magnum blend but in 12 ga 3.5. They do make it in 20 ga 3 inch. It's a 1 1/4 oz load at 1200 fps and is a blend of 5s, 6s and 7s. The shot is stacked in the shell so that the 7s open up at a shorter range than the 6s and the 5s. I shot a tom 2 years ago at 72 paces that was trying to slip out of there.