Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Springfield XD Mod in 40 S&W

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been wanting to upgrade one of my CCW pistols. I never felt easy with my Glock compact in 40 S&W.
I just bought a Springfield XD Mod 2 in 40 S&W. I think I'm going to like it as it has a grip safety plus a trigger safety like the Glock.
3" barrel and come with a 9&1 and a 12&1 magazines.
It was at a special lower price which is lower than I can buy at wholesale. Plus the sale of the Glock will pay for the new pistol.

I just hate to carry my H&K P7 squeeze cocker in 9MM as they are hard to get and go for 1200.00. Hate to have it rust when carrying it but it makes a good house gun. Retiring my 380ACP CCW pistols as I've sold one and have the WW11 Astra 300 380ACP Officers pistol on the market.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Springers are a good gun. One thing I can't stand on the Mod 2 is that they labeled it "grip zone" on the grip.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The XDs are good guns. I personally don't shoot the 40sw as well as other calibers so I don't have any in that flavor.

The p7s are a cool gun and definitely have done collectible value. That along with them being solid steel makes it harder to be competitive with some of the more current offerings out there for slim single stack 9mm. Holsters are another headache with the p7 as they are so rare.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Springers are a good gun. One thing I can't stand on the Mod 2 is that they labeled it "grip zone" on the grip.

I wished the 'grip zone' wasn't stamped on the grip. But I had a chance to handle the original XD and then the XD Mod 2. The XD Mod 2 is slightly slimmer and has a better feel with the grip zone checkering. We'll see as it just felt better.
I've shot both the 9MM and 40S&W for 25 odd years and the 45ACP seemed thicker in the hand so I went with the 40S&W as it's somewhat more than the 9MM and a little less than the 45ACP.

Treed

Stark County
I just bought the XD Model 2 in .45 ACP. I absolutely love it. If you want to deal with the Grip Zone lettering, you can put Talons on it for 17.99. They look great and the texture matches the Grip Zone tex pretty well. I intend to customize my Talons a little bit as I only want to cover the sides where the Grip Zone lettering is but the Grip Zone texture isn't. Here's a link.
http://talongungrips.com/grips/springfield/xd-mod2.html

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The Grip Zone stamping doesn't bother me a bit as my hands cover it up when I'm shooting it. So it's gone.
It seem to bother all the non-owners on all the review forums. I bought the pistol to shoot and CCW carry and it does both great with 100% function.