Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Season's only about a month out and this forum is dead?!

freeboro

I can't believe how dead this forum is with the season only 5 weeks out!

Who's seeing birds?

Who's scouting?

Anyone hearing any gobbles?

Any homemade calls being made?

What's going on???

Here, we've still got a couple feet of snow. I'm waiting for that to melt off before I go out and start traipsing around looking for sheds and turkey sign.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
birds are showing up in the usual spots around here ill be heading to Tennessee the second weekend of april, for the weeknd then going back the following weeknd, my Georgia license is still good wish i could make it down there next weekend for the opener but dont think i can swing it.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I haven't had much time to look, I usually try and hunt the same places each and their pretty good about returning. The snow down here is damn near gone, and I hope its another 8 months before I see it again.. Ryan should be around soon to get his annual contest sign-up going and that is when this section really starts to pick up. By the way, you'll want to work on getting your posts count up to 50 so your eligible for the contest.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just because TOOzers don't post on your thread doesn't mean it's dead. Do some looking around. [emoji6]
Right. And 3 days is not much considering were still a good ways from the season.

I have my scouting done. We always have birds and they are almost always in the same spot year in, year out. No sense in wasting time scouting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ha. Most of us just finished a long deer season and have been pulling stands, looking for sheds, etc. Most don't start getting serious about turkeys until the end of March or the first of April. Even then that's still 20+ days before season. The snow just melted for heavens sake. Lol. The turkeys are still in their winter flocks and haven't even thought about busting up and dispersing to their spring breeding grounds yet. I don't think anyone here scouts birds like Alex and I do and we don't even start until late march. Now deer season is another story. We'll start with cams, minerals, and plots in June but none of that is required for turkeys. If you start scouting birds now they'll jump roost 30 times between now and season and by then they'll probably be a mile away from where they are today. Getting up at 5:00 to go listen to a bird a month before season is a waste of a good couple hours sleep right now. Now two weeks before season is a different story, you'll find us out there every sunrise listening to roosted birds wake up.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a flock everyday in my front pasture searching for corn in the cow pies. IMHO we have too many turkeys here. It's getting harder every year to bag one as the toms roast with the hens and fly down together and the toms have no need to do any searching for hens.
But then just a few years ago there was zero turkeys and we have come a long way.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Still in winter flocks so scouting is not gonna reflect what they'll be doin come season . I'm using the same gun I've used for a long time so no pattern needed . I'll Prolly listen to em starting about 10 days before the season . Tough getting to excited when places still have 8" of snow on hillsides .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
To me, scouting turkeys makes about as much sense as scouting squirrels.

Getting overly-excited about turkeys before opening day just doesn't happen for me.

Plenty more going on around here than turkey talk. Take the time to look around instead of refreshing your one post every 5 minutes :smiley_clap:

That's just trying to lighten the mood for ya!! If you really want to see a slow forum I can show you one or two!! Join in the fun on the other topics and get to know a few here!! :pickle:

freeboro

All I was saying is there was no activity in this forum. I've been checking in daily since I joined and while I've found activity in other forums, there was no turkey talk. I'm not complaining or anything but I was looking to "spur" up some chit chat about the upcoming season. So I started a thread and now, here we are. LOL ;)

freeboro

I have an itch to get one or more of the Avian X decoys. I need another decoy like I need another hole in the head but damn those things look good!

To me, scouting turkeys makes about as much sense as scouting squirrels.

Getting overly-excited about turkeys before opening day just doesn't happen for me.

I would be interested in understanding your logic in that patterning turkeys is in my opinion a lot more predictable then deer. Scouting is just doing your homework in order to raise chances of success. To be honest I don't know how one could not enjoy scouting turkey I mean come on they actually answer back sure beats the hell out of deer.

Everyone has their passions I guess but coming from the other "dark" side I don't see how anyone could get excited about deer hunting especially early season. Nothing in my opinion tops roosting a bird for a week then going in there and laying him down within the first hour of light very rewarding and luckily enough they give you (2) tags so you can enjoy the rest of season.