Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

10/22 build

Ricer2231

I have always wanted to build a 10/22 so I decided to jump into it. I purchased a 50th anniversary edition rifle at Buckeye Outdoors a couple weeks ago for $209.00 as a foundation for the build. I also picked up a Vortex Diamondback scope to put atop it when I'm all done. I just received my 18" black fluted light weight barrel from Kidd Innovations, http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22L...Aluminum-Sleeved-Rifle-Bull-Barrel_p_150.html. I'm going with a Hogue over molded stock, http://www.hogueinc.com/store/categories/10-22/956, and just sent the trigger group out to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their tier 2 trigger job, http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/products/tier-2-intermediate-ruger-1022-trigger-work, and a new Rimfire Tech charging handle, http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/products/rimfire-tech-charging-handle and Rimfire Tech extended pull type mag release, http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/products/rimfire-tech-pull-release. I ordered a set of Warne Maxima 1" rings to mount the scope on the Ruger factory scope base. I can't wait to get all the pieces and parts back so I can begin the assembly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426123356.079421.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426123371.820054.jpg
Kidd 18" lightweight bull barrel
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426123422.302270.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426123435.429824.jpg
Hogue Over Molded Stock
Any words of advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Remind me too tell you about the 10/22 guy I ran into at the range sometime.... Good campfire talk lol...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
One of the guys at our gunclub built up a 10/22 and had over 1000.00 of after market parts in it and ended up with a really nice looking single shot. It never would function 2 rounds in a row. But he had serious problems with everything he touched.
I took a SS 10/22 dropped it into a plastic stock with a aftermarket SS fluted barrel and it shoots great and functions every round. I added a trigger spring and extended mag release. Haven't shot it in 15 yrs.
One of the easiest guns to upgrade yourself.

Ricer2231

I'm finding this out real quick but it is something I have always wanted to do an with .22 ammo becoming a little more available it will be fun to take to the range and bust some squirrels with.

Jamie

Ohio
my squirrel gun is a 10/22 that I built from all custom parts. nary a Ruger part on it. Kidd receiver, bolt, bolt buffer and single stage trigger. Whistlepig .920 fluted aluminum barrel. Hogue stock originally, but I replaced it last year with a stock from Adaptive Tactical. has a pistol grip that I like very much, but the action did not "drop in" as advertised. I made it fit nicely with some careful file work. I built this gun to be light weight, rugged, weather proof and most of all accurate, and it is all of these. and reliable. it's important to have the right recoil spring for the ammo you intend to shoot. why do you want a two stage trigger on a hunting rifle?

after all the money and effort I put into this gun, I did not skimp on the glass, either. Leupold VXII AO 3-9x32 rimfire scope with Burris rings. I can shoot squirrels in the eye at less than 50 yards most of the time. I'm here to tell you that you CAN buy accuracy. I'm no shooter, but I feel like one with this rifle in my hands.

Ricer2231

It's not a two stage trigger. I am having the tier 2 trigger job done on it is all. Brimstone can make it a two stage trigger if you want but I prefer a single stage for hunting and what shooting I will do at the range. If you click on the link above it explains it in more detail.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
How is it coming?
I am putting together something pretty similar, hopefully we can put them to test on some tree rats this fall at Strouds.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Got mine put together and started shooting it this weekend.

Kidd ultralightweight threaded barrel
Ruger bx trigger group
Hogue overmolded stock

Already has the auto bolt release and I switched that to this trigger group. Also has a vortex crossfire II 2-7x on it.

Trigger is really a nice improvement over the stock trigger. May move the pieces back to the metal rather than polymer trigger group later but not sure right now.

Once I got the scope dialed in, I shot one hole five round groups easily when I did my part at 25 yards.

Put my son behind it, his first time shooting anything more than a red Ryder bb gun and he enjoyed hitting the steel spinner we have.

Looking forward to squirrel season, this is a really lightweight rig.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Sorry for the lapse guys. Been super busy. Yours sounds a lot like mine Hedge.

My barrel is shorter, different stock color and different scope model but pretty similar. Will be fun to see yours at Stouds and we can compare.

I know I am very happy with how mine turned out, shoots like a laser and is lightweight and ready for a suppressor.