Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flooded basement help/advice please.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
My basement is flooded. The whole damn thing. There is water everywhere from 1/2 inch to almost 2 inches.

I have some freezers down there, but one of them is actually on an extension cord. The plug-in part connection part to the extension cord is not in the water, but the cord part is.

How dangerous is this? I want to unplug it, but I'll be honest, I'm afraid to. I'm also afraid to start bailing with it still plugged in.

Advice?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Call your fire dept they should have a junk pump and will pump it out... They do up here... If not call the power co too pull the meter so you can go down there and disconnect things.... Sorry too hear of this.... Is there a sump pump down there?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
No sump pump. Years ago it didn't get wet, but the past few years it started doing some flooding during very heavy rains and now the ice-snow melt. I think (maybe) some drainage ditches have filed in over the years.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Township/county should be cleaning those out periodically, might want too contact them as well this spring after the thaw....

Buckmaster

Portage
Too dangerous, call the Fire Dept.

In my grade school years one of my classmates Mother died while trying to unplug the appliances in their flooded basement.

Have the snakes been flushed out of the basement and upstairs yet?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I thought about the snake last night! I decided it must have moved on as it has not reared his ugly head! Ok, I'll finish re-arranging dogs (I had several downstairs) and then start making some phone calls.

Thanks guys, I didn't know what to do or who to call. This gives me a starting point.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Township/county should be cleaning those out periodically, might want too contact them as well this spring after the thaw....

I lost my post once. Anyway......that would be on me, the old drainage ditches I believe were behind my house, which sits at the bottom of a hill. When I first moved here, I could see an indention that ran behind my house over into the side yard. I probably need to dig a trench and put gravel and pipe in it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did you contact the fire dept too ask if they have a junk pump too pump out the water? I live in the city and our fire dept does it if there's no calls for them for fires/life flights....

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Probably a stupid question but is your breaker box downstairs? If it is upstairs all you would have to do is flip the main breaker then you can go downstairs.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The power company said they could disconnect the power for $50, but weren't sure when. The fire department told me to go down and simply unplug the outlets since it was only 2 inches of water, so that is what we did.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Thanks, Dustin!

Unfortunately, the pump thingy my kids went and bought me last night is not working. It worked for an hour or so, then nothing. I left it unplugged a few hours, tried again and still nothing.

And the shop vac is too big for me to dump when it's full (which is in under 2 minutes), so I'm bailing water with a cup until Allison gets here later to run the shop vac.

This will definitely be one of my more memorable birthdays!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Diane. Doesn't sound like fun. Was doing the same thing last night around my buildings. Divert water to avoid it getting inside.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Happy birthday and lots of luck. Have someone put in a sump pump pit and get a sump pump that pumps up hill so it can pump out in the future. Only way to prevent future flooding.