Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone still bowhunting?

I will be heading to Athens on Sunday to pick up a treestand I left there last year and did not have time to hunt there this season. I will stop in town for the day to spend sometime with some buddies and then heading back to Noble county to pursue some whitetails through Wednesday.

After reading some posts, I think I will save some energy and limit to evening hunts only. Found some new sign on the property in an area I usually do not hunt as the deer seem to have changed patterns and moved onto new food sources.

The only problem I see is their bedding and their feeding areas are really close and setting up in between might be a challenge.

Any tips are appreciated.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I plan on hunting a few more times in order to scout for muzzleloader. I'll probably sit observation stands and don't plan to shoot anything, but some seat time would do me good!!!

Good luck on your trip!

rrr

Yup.

Hung my new stand this afternoon, kicked up 2 does. Pretty damn excited about this new spot. I need to snip some shooting lanes and I'll be all set. Got to get some corn soon and get my ass into some other stands...

Cap't Ernie,

I've used corn before but not on a regular basis and I've noticed that deer at my place are not really used to and it takes them sometime before they start showing up at the corn during day light hours. Also when they finally show up it is usually yearlings that I'm not interested in shooting at this point of the season.

Also with corn prices at $7 for a 40lb bag I'd rather take my chances without it. But I know it works for others so good luck on that and let us know if you get lucky.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i would possibly try bumpingthem out real early like 2 pm and see if you can catch them coming back if the food is scarce

rrr

I've used corn before but not on a regular basis and I've noticed that deer at my place are not really used to and it takes them sometime before they start showing up at the corn during day light hours. Also when they finally show up it is usually yearlings that I'm not interested in shooting at this point of the season.

Also with corn prices at $7 for a 40lb bag I'd rather take my chances without it. But I know it works for others so good luck on that and let us know if you get lucky.

That's a good point. I don't know when they will visit it. This piece of woods sits next to a bean field...not sure the last time it was corn come to think of it. As for the price, I've got a friendly hookup from the farmer! I'm not banking on the corn but think that it will increase my odds and I can use all I can get!

Capt

epe

Lancaster
One of the feeders from last weekend. Deer are KILLING the feeders.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Been out 3 times since gun season opened. Haven't really has much luck, but that has been the story this season. Going this morning to a property that hasn't been hunted only once or twice this year. Got plenty of track and bedding in the area. Just hoping I can catch them moving through.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Wont be out till after the Christmas and the New Year due to family obligations. Come January I will be back out. Hoping to get the timberfleece 360 outfit for christmas to test out :)

I am picking up several bags of corn to put out next week so hopefully I can finally fill an OH tag.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've been hunting some this week here at the house. The hillsides are tore up where the deer are searching for acorns, and the fields look like the entire Athens County herd has been visiting. I've found four new scrapes (made within the last week), and Big Sixx and Short Tined Ten have both made an appearance after the extended archery weekend. Looking to kill a late season buck!

rrr

Epe - is that feed right next to an oil head, or are my eyes not open yet? Is that so the deer can get a little salt with their corn? I couldnt imagine that you have to worry about being quiet or not movin if that thing is pumping!

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Capt...if u want to increase morning or daylight sightings then I would just throw the corn everywhere like ur spreading grass seeds . That is more natral to them than a pile of corn and will keep their attention longer as you are stimulating their natural browsing mechanism. Not to mention their attention too, which should help you draw on them

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Capt...if u want to increase morning or daylight sightings then I would just throw the corn everywhere like ur spreading grass seeds . That is more natral to them than a pile of corn and will keep their attention longer as you are stimulating their natural browsing mechanism. Not to mention their attention too, which should help you draw on them

x2 on what TM said. If I'm putting out corn for a late season hunt I dump about half of a 50lb. bag in a pile, then broadcast the other half all over the place. The pile is the first thing to go, but it doesn't take long for 'em to start finding all the kernals scattered around.

Planning on getting out some next week. I haven't been bow hunting nearly enough lately....

old hunter

An 8 pt. and a 10 pt I have been after have dropped their horns already.The drop tine got shot by a guy the last day of gunseason,that didn't even know it existed.It has been a long bow season,but I will be out after tomorrow. I'm going to kill somthing.Allot of bucks up this way have dropped their horns.Several will be shot for does in muzzle season. It should have been earlier.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I put 360 pounds of corn in 3 feeders last week.. Hell yess im still bowhunting. :)