Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Safety Harness do you use......

The general post is to see what kind of Harness people are using these days. What they like/don't like; who is making the best products (Muddy, Spider, Hunter Safety Systems, etc...); and opinions on different products. For a better understanding of why I am looking see below.

The new Hunter Safety System Hybrid Flex looks very nice but I do not like their tether systems where as the Tree Spider systems look to be the best built harness but I was told they can be very uncomfortable.

Background Story:

I have not used a safety harness in years (5+) and when I did it was the standard black harness that came with climber tree stands. I was not a big fan to be honest so I quit using it. In 2011 I fell approx. 18 ft. out of a "hang on" when the ratchet strap failed. I was in the hospital for about a week swelled up like a balloon as all my internal organs had severe inflammation and swelling. Luckily a decayed log broke my fall and there were no broken bones or punctures. I have been somewhat timid in the stand ever since but still hunt from tree stands mostly "climbers" though. I have reached a point where paranoia has almost ruined my ability to enjoy hunting though as I constantly battle thinking of all the ways my tree stand could fail while I am hunting.

Harness Systems seem to have evolved a lot since then so I am looking at taking another stab at it. Being that I hardly ever use "hang on" stands the Lifeline systems are not really a viable option and I see no point in buying a harness in that Suspension Trauma is a very likely scenario if one falls but I have come across the newer Livewire system by Tree Spider which looks like a very efficient alternative for that reason I am now looking into harness options.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You fell and still don't wear a harness?

I wear a Muddy, the one they now call the Safeguard. I love it and will wear a version of it as long as Muddy make one. Mine is 4 years old and will get replaced after this coming season is over. It is lightweight, comfortable, and I like the lineman's belt. I've had 3-4 other brands (HSS, Gorilla, Summit) and do not care for them. IMO, the Muddy is the best harness on the market.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I use the HSS and it's about 5 years old and like it so far. Haven't used anything else so I'm no help in any advise on other options. Muddys system does look nice though. They do recommend buying a new one every so often though which is probably a good idea IF you've stressed it due to a fall or just wore it out.

You definitely need to wear something though. Years ago I took a lot of risks but nowadays I don't do that anymore....just not worth it!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wear a good safety vest. I've tried couple different strap types but didn't like the feel.
About 25 yrs. ago I fell when I was doing crop damage permits. I had put up a ladder stand on too small diameter of a tree. And a nice buck came through and I sorta twisted to the left and the damn stand went around the tree and threw me off.
To this day I still remember me saying 'the safety is off. Hit the ground, leave the gun, and roll'. That's exactly what I did and it worked perfectly.
Then 'stupid is as stupid does' I put the stand back up. Got back up and the same thing happened again but at least the gun was on the ground on a pull up rope. No harm done and I went home. I moved the stand the next night to a larger tree and wouldn't you know that same buck came down the trail and I dropped him with my Marlin 45-70.

I've learned my lesson and always use a safety vest. This year I'm getting a safety line for up and down the ladder.

freeboro

I have a HSS, but it's heavy as hell. I'm thinking of switching but with all the other stuff I have going on, that likely won't happen.

One thing I did, because I also hated the tethering system, is I swapped out that stupid strap for a rope and prussic knot set up like the "seat of the pants" harnesses. I like that much better.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I bout the new HSS last year. Its nothing that effects my shooting and I just have peace of mind with it on. Its a little heavier than my last one but it has all the pockets on it and I stuff it with too much crap

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Muddy. Heavy but works. I hate the damned things.
You're losing your mind if you think that harness is heavy! Lol

Muddy Safeguard all the way. I've tried about all of them and it's by FAR my favorite. I hate the vest-style harnesses due to bulkiness and lack of versatility. And most of the strap-style harnesses are easily tangled and cumbersome... However the Muddy is neither. Always easy to put on, versatile (under or over most any garment), and very lightweight. I truthfully cannot think of any flaws with this harness.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Another shout out for Muddy. I even bought one for Travis. Light, doesn't bind or dig, and is comfortable. I usually wear it under my jacket because I often carry my jacket to the stand but put my harness on at the truck. Another cool thing about muddy is when in the stand I take the lineman's belt and put it around the tree looping it through itself, then connect my strap to the prusic knot with the carabener. this allows me to make my tether as long or as short as I want. When I go to stand up I slide the prusic knot down to lengthening my tether. This way it's out of my way if I need to make a right hand shot. It also allows you to place your tree strap as high or low as you want, and your tether strap as long or short as you want. In a climber it would allow you to loosen and slide it up the tree as you climb.

I've been using an older harness for a while now. Think it was made by Summit back in the day. The thing has held up great and I really have gotten my money out of it. Some of the newer ones seem a little cheap with thin webbing and narrow tree straps so I haven't quite found one I like. Still lighter than a HSS vest model but definitely not as comfy as some of the new ones. Keep saying this will be the year to upgrade....been saying that for several years now though.