Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fs & fb shed thread of 2015

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Bazinga!!!

Finally one of us on the board! Found a year old with minimal disk damage and a year old broken off beam I reckon a yote carried off and dropped on this deer path.

Different angle

#2(FUGG IT, it's not a shed but it's still a antler!)lol

Close up

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey Ric do you find many sheds that coyotes have chewed on? My dog loves antlers so I know the difference between the chew marks of rodents and canines. My buddy has a shed that has definitely been chewed on by a canine, but was found deep in a private marsh. We both agree that coyote is the most likely culprit, but I've just never seen another like it. But I figure, if dogs love them so much... Why wouldn't a coyote or fox?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey Ric do you find many sheds that coyotes have chewed on? My dog loves antlers so I know the difference between the chew marks of rodents and canines. My buddy has a shed that has definitely been chewed on by a canine, but was found deep in a private marsh. We both agree that coyote is the most likely culprit, but I've just never seen another like it. But I figure, if dogs love them so much... Why wouldn't a coyote or fox?

Most definitely! The rodents more or less gnaw like a squirrels do to a hickory nut casing and the fox,yote or dogs chews are more like a chew toy marks.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well done, good start! I found nothing yesterday but did see a bunch of deer and one that was still packing both sides.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All three of mine must have fallen late last spring after green up cuz I walked those places hard clear up till then. The last one and broken antler both had been carried and dropped though so it's fairly possible they fell in areas I didn't look or have access too as well. Still not seeing much deer in these areas either. Last year I found just 11 sheds total and just 9 were found in my surrounding areas of my home. That's a lot of area! Prolly several thousand acres easily. I'm reading that the DOW is relying heavily on the harvested buck numbers to estimate the herd size these days. Maybe the reason I haven't found many the last 2-3 years like I used to. I do know there are more shed hunters looking to so that doesn't help either.

Good luck in finding the sheds to those two slobs Brock! If you need help just hollar!

Great to hear someone found some Chad! Congrats to them!