Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Why I love OFBF

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So you may or may not know that farmland is taxed based on soil types and the values of crops those soils produce. The state calls it CAUV- Current Agriculture Use Valuation. Every 10 years the state recalculates the CAUV valuations based on yields, crop prices, interest rates etc. We've just been through a few years of high grain prices and of course just as the new CAUV values are recalculated prices drop.

Now this was the year my county and 27 others reevaluated property taxes and of course used the new CAUV values. My taxes went up $12- 1300 a half or about 50%. I put the check in the mail today and this afternoon OFBF sends out an email bragging that they got state to lower CAUV values.

Now here's the part that frosts me, they say we are stuck with the higher taxes for 3 years(until the next time the county updates values) but farmers in the other 60 counties won't have the same increases we have to pay. Basically there's 2 classes of farmers in the state. This will end up costing me about $7500-8000 over the next 3 years while farmers 2 miles south of me (county line) won't have to pay.

Farm Bureau has screwed me on deer hunting and now they've sold me out on taxes.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a relative who's property taxes went from $12,000 to over $25,000 a half. So 3 years will set them back $75k. But their farm is 12x bigger than mine.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Wish I had the time to express what I know about the subject but I dont.
All I know is thanks your local republicans for the Increased taxes.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks for the insight Sam. There is little more frustrating than dealing with local government. How infuriating it must be to have such a double standard just a couple miles down the road.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm not so much complaining about the taxes because I understand how they are figured. I understand the system saved me money in the past. The issue is the double standard. I also understand the difficulty of me getting any money back for this year, when my taxes went up some else in my area paid less. If they refunded money to farmland owners they couldn't make it up from the people who paid less.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The issues I have are the fact that they can't systematically increase and allow people to budget properly. It's really stupid and they should have some warning

themedic

OHIO
My taxes went down $8 this year. The big hike was last year when they increased $800 on the year.

I had a complaint filed with my local auditor but pulled it after learning that soil types are set by the state and basically can not be changed. What I feel is BS, is that Fairfield County's soil type is one price range and my land is crap compared to most of the county.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
My wife works at the county auditors office for our county. Our county was one that was adjusted this year as well. Lets just say she has been extreme busy handling all the complaints. Crop prices are in the tank this year but assessments go off past prices when they were high. She was telling me last week how bad I was. A lot of the taxes almost doubled. Problem is it is a state level assessment. They do something like 30% of the counties each year. It was our turn now they have to wait 3 years to get any reprieve. The farms that will change next year will get the low crop prices considered so they will have I better. If the crop prices ebb and flow every few years it is possible that your county may always be the one hosed while others could always get lucky.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Got zero last year, during all my years farming I've collected about $2000 a year.on average. On the piece of ground I own the subsidies will probably be about $1000 this year. But those farmers in the counties that won't pay the higher taxes still get their subsidies. Any other questions?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I realize it sucks but I think agricultural property value should be based on the value of the precious years crop value, with a standard evaluation of value for land and buildings.

For example. A persons 100 acre land and house is valued at 750k. Property taxes are paid in that 750k value after some other calculations like homestead etc. But the basic principal for everyone, be it a farm or single family ranch, is they pay taxes based upon property value and structure value. Farms should also include crop value. These items are part of part of the value of the property. If I have 20 acres valued at 100k. But I plant tomatoes on it and make 10k on my tomatoes, the real value of that property last year to me was 110k. I should pay property tax on the 110k next year. Say the next year I don't grow squat, then I pay on the 100k value again. Would a farmer sell a piece of ground in late summer with crops in the field for the same price that he would in late winter? Of course not. And if he did he would ask more to cover the crops in the field that come with it.

Actually I'm just trolling you. I think property taxes are unconstitutional and should be eliminated.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got lucky due my farm soil is so poor my taxes only went up 30.00 per 1/2.