Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reticles, got an app for that...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We have had more talk lately of reticles, reloading and such so I wanted to share something I use quite a bit.

It is an app called Strelok. I paid to use StrelokPro because it has all the reticles of every one of my rifles.

You can get as simple or complicated as you want. The idea is you can input what weapon you have and zero info. It will then show you where to aim, what yardage your different hash marks, MOA/MRAD adjustments, etc...

I have all my rifles and info saved along with my favorite loads. For example if I have my rifle zeroed at 100 and the target is at 466 yards...the app will tell me how many clicks to change or holdover on each hash.

Pics to follow....

Very cool and a great learning tool.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Slope angle, degrees: 0.0

Cartridge: 223

Zero offset: 0.00/0.00 MOA

Velocity, corrected to current temperature, f/s: 2926

Ballistic coefficient: 0.255 (G1)

Bullet weight, grains: 55.0
Bullet length, inches: 0.816
Bullet diameter, inches: 0.224

Adding spin drift to results: OFF

Adding vertical deflection of crosswind to results: OFF

Adding Coriolis effect to results: OFF

Gyroscopic stability Factor: 2.42

Rifle: PSA

Zero Distance, yards: 100.0

Twist Rate, inches: 8.0 (Right hand twist)

Scope height, inches: 1.5

Vert. click, MOA: 0.25

Hor. click, MOA: 0.25

Reticle: CIRT, Weaver

Reticle is in the Second Focal Plane (SFP)
Min. magnification: 1.5
Ranging magnification: 6.0
Max. magnification: 6.0

Current magnification: 6.0

Zeroing weather. Disabled

Weather

Temperature, °F: 85.0

Humidity, %: 28.0

Pressure, inHg: 29.17

Wind speed, mph: 0.0

Wind direction, degrees: 90.0

Distance, yardsBullet speed, f/sElevation, MOAWindage, MOA
Bullet speed, f/sat temperature, °F

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The above was in a different format easier to read but I couldn't get my phone to take a screen shot. Here is a reticle pic for the above info.

uploadfromtaptalk1425680146637.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have had more talk lately of reticles, reloading and such so I wanted to share something I use quite a bit.

It is an app called Strelok. I paid to use StrelokPro because it has all the reticles of every one of my rifles.

You can get as simple or complicated as you want. The idea is you can input what weapon you have and zero info. It will then show you where to aim, what yardage your different hash marks, MOA/MRAD adjustments, etc...

I have all my rifles and info saved along with my favorite loads. For example if I have my rifle zeroed at 100 and the target is at 466 yards...the app will tell me how many clicks to change or holdover on each hash.

Pics to follow....

Very cool and a great learning tool.

TTT.

Curious? I am not a rocket scientist, but I am not a complete bonehead (arguable, I know.)

When it comes to sighting in scopes, holdover, BDC reticles, etc., there is one thing I have not found: What power do you use to zero?

I am 1" high at 50yds at 4 power on my shotgun. It won't affect me for gun season as I know where my shotgun hits from 0-100yds and this is all the more I will shoot. Really, probably will only shoot 50yds or less if I get a shot.

Moving forward, I would like to be able to adjust the scope power for different shots on my Nikon Slughunter BDC 3-9x40. In order to do so, I need to be zeroed at a specific distance. I don't know what power I am supposed to zero the shotgun though? If I adjust the power of the scope, it changes the distances on the BDC reticles. I need to know where to start though. I watched the videos on the Spot On website and it didn't say. I read the instructions on the website too. Just didn't see anything about power of scope to zero.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hmm...I always zero at max magnification. It really shouldn't matter. The time when what magnification you use matters is when using the marks to estimate yardage.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I guess I should say that the magnification doesn't matter when zeroing because zero, is zero.

Magnification does effect BDC hash and the corresponding distance. Also, each scope uses a different number (many use max magnification) for estimation yardage using the scope marks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Nikon Spot on app/website shows the BDC reticles change. At 3x magnification, zeroed at 50yds, crosshairs will be dead on with a 50yd shot, 1st dot down might be 126yds, 2nd dot down another yardage, etc. Crank the magnification to 5x or 7x and it changes. 1st dot down might be 160yds, 2nd dot 194yds, etc.

I am throwing out random yardages obviously as it is going to change for caliber, grain bullet, etc. My point being: BDC dots are different at each magnification. Makes me question which magnification to zero? Weird in my opinion.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Zero is zero regardless of magnification. The only thing that changes with magnification is the BDC hash marks. Most BDC scope manuals will tell you how to set them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Zero is zero regardless of magnification. The only thing that changes with magnification is the BDC hash marks. Most BDC scope manuals will tell you how to set them.

Right on. Unless you buy them used. Then you need to go through the baggie of stuff the guy gave you to see if the scope manual is in there. lol

I have another BDC scope manual I can dig out if needed. One would think the SPot On app would list this info though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Right on. Unless you buy them used. Then you need to go through the baggie of stuff the guy gave you to see if the scope manual is in there. lol

I have another BDC scope manual I can dig out if needed. One would think the SPot On app would list this info though.

What make / model scope is it? I'll see what my googlefoo can do.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here is what the spot on app says for 9x mag with a zero at 100 yards shooting 2 3/4 Accutips from a 12 ga.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448893129.396071.jpg