Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

yarded deer

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Don't mind sayen I was disappointed there wasn't more response to my picts of the deer out on the lake ice by post #14.
Sometimes you fuggers are hard to figure out.

O well. No one likes a whiner. I'll move on.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pics are great for such a distance. Is this on the lake?

Sorry I missed it. Posted while I was in Detroit.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I looked and thought they were cool but just didn't say anything. Sorry about that.I'll tell ya though if you want to get a responce to a thread you need to grab a shovel and try to make it inside a coyote den lol!!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice pics. What camera are you using to get those pics? I wish I had a better wide angle camera....I have a herd 10x that size right now I would like to take a picture of.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern does a herd that size stay right in that area or do they just yard up this time of year and disperse later?

They stay in the same area for about 2 months...and then disperse as soon as the snow starts melting off..should be any day now. Last year it was about right now.

Here is a pic from last year of a herd...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nice pics. What camera are you using to get those pics? I wish I had a better wide angle camera....I have a herd 10x that size right now I would like to take a picture of.

The camera I have been using for the last couple of years is a Panasonic- Lumix 20x w/ full HD.

Looking at the post this morning, it was unnecessary. I know you guys love me... :smiley_baby:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
The camera I have been using for the last couple of years is a Panasonic- Lumix 20x w/ full HD.

Looking at the post this morning, it was unnecessary. I know you guys love me... :smiley_baby:

Thanks, I have a decent one at work I can borrow...there is a huge herd right now that I need to get a picture of before it warms up.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
There were 119 in this group last year...lol I think these deer come from 10 miles away give or take.

O shit! Guess my little group of 15 is not such a big deal for you NW Tundra guys!
That's a lot of deer there!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
There were 119 in this group last year...lol I think these deer come from 10 miles away give or take.

O shit! Guess my little group of 15 is not such a big deal for you NW Tundra guys!
That's a lot of deer there!

I think with the lack of available cover here, the deer yard up in larger groups to survive...and concentrate on corn stubble as food sources. Every herd here always yards up over corn stubble. I think with areas of more cover you have a lot more groups of 10 to 15 deer, rather than 100 plus. I saw a herd last night that was a minimum of 150...but I wasn't counting...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Gern- that makes sense. They have been using the lake ice heavily and browsing the shoreline a lot for maple and evergreens. When ever I see em I glass out behind hoping to see a yote (my missed shot still haunts me.) but the group has no injured stragglers and I may have seen to may TV show w/ wolves...lol

Strother23

Columbus, OH
The biggest herd of deer I've seen was inside of 270 (columbus outer belt) it was about 25 deer in a cut corn field. I slowed down to about 50mph to check it out. I was amazed

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Take a midol Jim you'll be okay.... If no midol then eat a friggin snickers!!!!!! rotflmao :smiley_coolpeace: