Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope redical

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I just got a vx-1 3-9x40 leupold for my 870 slug gun in heavy duplex. Was getting hard to see with my old scope, A 1.5-5x32 Bushnell. The circle x was hard for me to see at 100 yards.

I was wondering why most scope company's mostly offer some kind of bdc reticle But not much in a regular style reticle. Imo. the bdc just gets in the way for a shotgun. With the right sight in I can shoot 175 yards without worring about what reticle to use witch takes to much time imo.

What do you guys prefer and why?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I prefer a BDC on most applications. I chrono the load and put it in my Strelok app. Then I print out a ranging card. Also you can use the marks as a range finder.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
For a close range (<200 yards ) woods gun where shots are often in low light a simple heavy duplex reticle is hard to beat. I have an old Redfield with a German post reticle that would be good too but you don't see them very often anymore.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I prefer a BDC on most applications. I chrono the load and put it in my Strelok app. Then I print out a ranging card. Also you can use the marks as a range finder.

I'm becoming a big fan of those as well.... Have the Nikon on my Xbow and really like it and am leaning toward that on the AR as well....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I agree heavy duplex is great for short range. Most popular with the big game crowd which tells you something.

For shotgun slug guns I like them especially. For muzzie I prefer a BDC and dope chart for the reticle/load.

Last edited:
my varmint guns have bdc or MOA reticle. my brush guns have a heavy duplex reticle. I have shot some rifles with older scopes that have the German post or t post reticle and really like them. they are quick to pick up and not much to obstruct your view.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Hunting rifles have the duplex but my varmint guns have a very fine cross hair with a 1/8" minute dot. Never got into the BDC scopes.