Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage 220 or H&R

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
My son will be 13 this upcoming season. He has out grown his youth H&R 20 slug hunter. It will be handed down to my grandson.
I been looking around a lot and I like the 220 and the H&R, The H&R is a lot cheaper, They both seem to shoot well.
From what ive read it seems people don't like the lightweight H&R because of the recoil. Seen that a few people had misfires with the H&R 20, And the 220 is hard loading and the action needs to be worked hard to eject a spent shell.

Is the 220 worth the extra $350.00 I'm not sure it is, Would be nice to have 3 quick shots if needed.

What are your guys thoughts on what gun to buy for him? Jake

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMO, the Savage is worth the additional cost. For starters, I love the Accutrigger. Secondly, the opportunity for quick follow-ups is something that is hard to put a price on, but IMO is well worth the cost. I've shot a couple 220's and have been tempted to purchase one for myself. The H&R guns are nostalgic, but fall short of the overall quality of the Savage.

Huckleberry Finn

I have yet to shoot it but I got a hell of a deal on a 212. Not as popular and maybe for a reason, we will see, but may be another option for you to consider.

I have both a Savage 220 and H&R ultra slug hunter deluxe in 12ga. The H&R is a nice gun but don't compare to the Savage. The Savage is built on the 110 long action platform with the accutrigger and a free floating barrel. I put a Nikon BDC 200 slug hunter on it and it is down right accurate. Well worth the extra money.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
220 all day. he will have that thing the rest of his life. stupid accuracy..

antiqucycle

East Ohio
My opinion is a 220 at $489 plus 7% sales tax = $523 Then add a scope mount and rings for another $30-50 is way too much money for a gun you would use 7 days a year. Then toss in another $200 for a scope and your heading for $800. I also think single shot H&R's made in Brazil are not too desirable at $200. Go to some gun shows and buy a used Remington 870 twenty gauge and pickup a used saddle mount for $200-250 and you will have a year round gun and $500 still in your bank account.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My opinion is a 220 at $489 plus 7% sales tax = $523 Then add a scope mount and rings for another $30-50 is way too much money for a gun you would use 7 days a year. Then toss in another $200 for a scope and your heading for $800. I also think single shot H&R's made in Brazil are not too desirable at $200. Go to some gun shows and buy a used Remington 870 twenty gauge and pickup a used saddle mount for $200-250 and you will have a year round gun and $500 still in your bank account.
My thoughts TOO. Close anyway.

I would rather have a Remington 1100 with a a couple barrels. More useful and can be just as accurate. Make it a 20ga and use it for rabbits and doves.

My 870 (sold) with the Mossberg brand barrel shot 1.5" @ 100 with ok slugs.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My thoughts TOO. Close anyway.

I would rather have a Remington 1100 with a a couple barrels. More useful and can be just as accurate. Make it a 20ga and use it for rabbits and doves.

My 870 (sold) with the Mossberg brand barrel shot 1.5" @ 100 with ok slugs.
If we're going there, I like this idea even better. An 870 or 1100 with both barrels is a great way to roll.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If we're going there, I like this idea even better. An 870 or 1100 with both barrels is a great way to roll.
Just found a nice 1100 20ga with field barrel and cantilever hastings for $500 asking.

Decisions...

For someone serious about slug hunting the Savage is a great gun. I just don't shoot slugs for fun so it would have to be a multipurpose gun in my purchase.

$600 set up for a singular use firearm doesn't work for me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

The only way I shell out that kind of coin for a gun is a muzzleloader. Even the $1K I paid for my Benelli went to a gun that has since killed ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, a turkey and could be used for yotes as well. I bought it for ducks, but it at least can do much more than that.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love my 220. I already have a few shotguns so I didn't need /didn't want extra barrels laying around. The 220 has the scope mounted and ready to rock... Pull it out and shoot a deer. Boom. I will say, ejecting spent shells takes some getting used to. Ya got to kinda slam it back sometimes. May be a bit of a hurdle for a 13 yr old.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The savage 220 will cycle rounds flawlessly if you work the action fluidly, any stutter step in working it will show up in degraded ejection..... The accutrigger is nice as it's more of a rifle trigger than a shotgun trigger.....

Won't find much more of an accurate gun for the price and customer service is top notch as well.... If you get it just go with the 2 3/4 accutips by Remington.... Don't waste any money on any other round as this is the round that best shoots out of it..... Trust me on that as I've spent a bunch of trying that scenario out.....

Huckleberry Finn

Just found a nice 1100 20ga with field barrel and cantilever hastings for $500 asking.

Decisions...

For someone serious about slug hunting the Savage is a great gun. I just don't shoot slugs for fun so it would have to be a multipurpose gun in my purchase.

Be an easy decision if it was a 12...

Milo

Tatonka guide.

Decisions...

i almost sold mine but kept it because if they ever come for them...I may not penetrate a vest but I will break every bone in their chest .. At 200 yards I can get quite a few hehe