Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote 2015

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Went up to the farm to do some stuff for the in laws. While up here I decided to go out and put in a hunt. Have my 5 year old with me so he wanted to go too.

Fox pro set up calling distressed cottontail and......
Nothing

He did great, we were set up for over an hour. He was behind me in a barn where he was out of the wind and could move without being seen from outside. I was set up next to some equipment overlooking 150 yards of overgrown pasture, a tree line fence row and another 50 to 100 yards of pasture leading into 50+ acres of woods.

Started with cotton tail distress at low volume and every ten minutes or so turned it up a bit.

Eventually saw 5 deer including two bucks with headgear feeding in the far side of the pasture. Then after a few minutes they bolted away and I thought I was going to have some action. Nah they were just screwing around running all over the field. They eventually Fred their way to the field closest to us and got company a total of 8. They ran all over the field again but this time my sin was behind the ghost blind with me enjoying the show.

uploadfromtaptalk1424924858296.jpg

He said the coyote hunting was boring but setting the deer made it worth it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Your boy looks like he was enjoying the deer. I'm no coyote hunting expert, but a lot of guys use the rabbit distress. I don't use that call at all for that reason. I've called 3 in the last few weeks using pup distress and I called a double in last Sunday using a baby coon distress. I did female howls at the beginning of each sequences.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Went out this morning and tried the calls bigslam suggested. Froze my butt off but think i might have seen one. Saw 5 does though.

Tomorrow will be the first day off I've had in 3 weeks, so I grabbed a rifle and headed out. I'm sitting in a stand on a well traveled intersection of 2 fence rows. The tracks are everywhere, I hope to see some action. Feels great to be out right now!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425160078.505089.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Tomorrow will be the first day off I've had in 3 weeks, so I grabbed a rifle and headed out. I'm sitting in a stand on a well traveled intersection of 2 fence rows. The tracks are everywhere, I hope to see some action. Feels great to be out right now!View attachment 28775

Good luck! I'll be out in the morning. How's my decoy look? Lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1425160813275.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1425160813275.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 174

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
No yotes this morning, used the decoy then pitched it in the brush after we were done. It was snowing pretty good here so they were probably holed up.