Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back yard deer

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Dumped some corn out for the locals. They are starting to look a little thin. Fluffy due to the 5 degree temps though.

P1040927.jpgP1040929.jpgP1040931.jpgP1040933.jpgP1040934.jpgP1040935.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Cool pics Jim!

I've been putting some corn out for the neighborhood deer myself. Got a couple small year and a half bucks and few does and yearlings coming around but all after dark though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The deer in picture 5, is the neck really short on it or is it just the angle???

Cool pictures Jim thanks for sharing....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The deer in picture 5, is the neck really short on it or is it just the angle???

Cool pictures Jim thanks for sharing....

No. I would think it was just the angle I may have captured at that moment as he was raising or lowering his head. It was a "normal" neck.

Funny side note. Those 2 were there at 12:30 PM today. Tonight in the last 5 min. of shooting light, 8 deer ran 300 yards down the lake on the ice before popping up the bank and bee-lining it to the corn. Its a nice to see what made it through the hunting season. I can remember maybe 15-20 years ago I use to do it for my daughters "when they were little". It was great for them to be able to see them so close. Back then, at this point in the winter when they are yarding-up, I would have 20-30 deer on some evenings.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well they are back and they brought friends. Almost daily we have seen this group going down or across the ice feeding on tips of Maple and other sorts of buds. Although we still have a 12-14" base, the deer are starting to hit the Red Oaks, digging the somewhat wind scoured edges. Of course my back yard spot has been hit pretty heavy as well. As near as we can count the group is up to 14-15.

I don't mind em yarding-up in the area. Gives me something to look forward to and keep me motivated to continue my small part in QDM. These were at 175-200 yards.

We never see that many in the summer/fall as they spread back out over the country side.