Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hard core rabbit hunting!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
image.jpg

Took my son and some of his buddies out rabbit hunting yesterday with our bows. I wasn't expecting much from the dogs with 7 inches of fresh snow. I figured most of the rabbits would be holed up but was surprised when the dogs started running as soon as they hit the brush. We missed quite a few but this pic shows the smile of a first ever rabbit with a bow for this guy. He ended up killing 2 for the day and said he never knew rabbit hunting with a bow could be so much fun. All in all, we had a great time watching the dogs run and put a couple in the bag too! Hopefully we can give it another try next weekend before season ends.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats too the young man.... I actually started my rabbit hunting career using an old fiberglass stick bow with cedar shaft field points.... Didn't get a lot but the ones we did made for great memories.....

Mind me asking where (county) you were hunting at? Looks like decent amount of snow....

Great job!! Been a looong time since I flung an arrow at a bunny. Never did get one that way.

I hear from some very experienced bunny hunters that the only way to go is to blow the shit out of them with a shotgun and shoot towards your buddies for a crap load of fun!!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Great job!! Been a looong time since I flung an arrow at a bunny. Never did get one that way.

I hear from some very experienced bunny hunters that the only way to go is to blow the shit out of them with a shotgun and shoot towards your buddies for a crap load of fun!!

Yea, like I said in another post, I actually feel guilty when we use the contender 410's....lol. We are definitely in it for the challenge and watching the dogs run. We enjoy the meat too but that's not the main reason we are out there. I suppose that's why we have a decent population where we hunt each year. In fact we don't even start rabbit hunting until after deer gun season so we don't disturb the guys who are bow hunting.

I forgot to mention that was a 30 yard shot on his first rabbit too! We watched it come in and it stopped and stood up and just looked at him looking down the arrow. I said to myself, he drew to early now that rabbit has him froze and about that time he let it fly and pegged the rabbit. High 5's were in order for that shot!

Great fun...and I am passing on the congrats you guys are sending. I sent him the link to this thread so maybe he will join up.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Well we headed out with the bows once again for the last day of rabbit season. Snow was deep with a freeze dried powder on top making it tough for the dogs. They had quite a few jumps but most were short runs. Finally the sun came out and the scenting conditions improved when the snow started to gain a little moisture.

We had a few shots but none in the bag. My son came close, on 3 different shots he had fur but the rabbit kept running. He made decent contact with one of the rabbits and it was running slow enough that the dogs managed to chase it down. I had a great view of the chase and saw one of the young dogs grab the rabbit just as it was diving in the hole. Ace had a mouth full of rabbit and was pulling him out while the rabbit kept digging in. I watched Ace release and grab 3 different times trying to get a better bite. On the 3rd try he came back up with a mouth full of fur and the rabbit made it the rest of the way in the hole. Close but no bunny!

As usual we had a lot of fun and enjoyed the challenge of trying to take a few with the bows. We will continue to run the dogs and can't wait until next season to start all over again. In the pic you can see small amounts of blood and some fur around the hole where we almost had one! image.jpg

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. The best part is taking all these young men out and seeing them become real sportsmen. I feel blessed to have a son who still has time to spend with the old man now and then.