Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone ride motorcycles?

tuffshot

The Crew
The "I wanna learn to drive like this" thread brought up the subject of motorcycles.

Might as well start a thread about motorcycles. What bike you have or have ridden could interesting. 4 wheelers don't count.:smiley_bike:

I guess I'll start. I had a 73 Suzuki Titan 500 crashed and burned that one.
Had a 1980 HD Super Glide / sold it to buy a boat, I am on my second boat now, the first was a runabout sold it last summer and bought a smaller bass boat.
I now have a 1984 Honda 700 which was my father's It became mine after he passed away in 08. The Honda needs a little TLC and I will keep it as long as I can.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. Started on a Yamaha GT80 when I was 7 back in 1982. Went through all the stages of dirtbikes and still have one in the barn at 35yrs old. My current rides are a 2005 KTM 200EXC, a 2005GasGas TXT280PRo (trials bike), and a 1974 Norton Commando 850. I have always had a thing for the older bikes on the road, but try to stay fairly current on the dirt bikes. Last three years of my wife being in school has put a damper on the riding. Street and dirt.

Road bikes started when I was 15. Bought a 1973 Honda CB350F which was the smallest production 4cyl made. Got it running and had my temps for a bike before a car. Been through a bunch, but the most fun bike I had was a 1983 Honda CB1100. 36mm smoothbore carbs, Kerker 4-1 with a slipon exhaust, and all kinds of tweaking. The owner before me had an extended swingarm on it with a wheelie bar and drag raced it. I did many stupid things on that bike!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
DSCN236500010001.JPGDSCN167200010001.JPGDscn10470001.JPGCopy of DSCN230400010001.JPG

Here are pictures of the KTM, the GasGas trials bike, an old Triumph I used to have, and one of my son and I when he was 3 1/2yrs old. This was his first bike. Bought it when he was 5 days old. lol

Schu72

Streetsboro
Had a 1989 Suzuki Katana 750. Bought it used when I was in college. Had it for several years and then sold it to buy a Jeep.

Kaiser878

ohio
Ive Been known to thro my leg over a motorcycle a time or two in my day!

I started out on a XR 100 when I Was 10, then moved to a 95 KX100. After we started racing a bunch I got a new KX100.

In 2000 things started picking up a bit and I got a new YZ 125. 2000 was the first year I made it to Lorretta Lynns Ameature national. I won my Regional qualifier and went in wiht a big head. Needless to say the Hurricane Mills track got the best of me and I took my soil samples than a ODNR biologist! Was in the top 5 multiple times only to wad myself up shortly there after. Ended up getting 27th in the nation that year. I Wasnt real happy.

After that year things got hectic and it seemed as if we were never home. Always traveling from state to state racing motorcylces. Trned Pro in fall of 04 and it seemed as if things went down hill from there. Started riding over my head and getting hurt was an everyday thing. I Was winning, but I was also paying the price. I exploded my arm in 05 and had surgery. Seemed as if my desire was lost after that.

As for now, I have a 08 yzf 450. I dont race much anymore. I mostly just ride and have fun with friends. I teach a few mx schools here and there, but it is mostly for fun now a days. HERe are some pics from this past summer!

Sequence

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I don't have any pics, but i used to ride and race a yamaha pw 80. then i got two hand me down yz 100 bikes. I never really raced much or anything but used to ride around at our land. Also had a honda racing fourwheeler but sold it to by the jeep

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Hicks, that old triumph is awesome....I love those bikes.

02 gsxr 750....First and Last bike....That is until I get a harley when im probably 75 yrs old.....hahahahaaha I want a night train with mid apes....

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Back in the late 80's and early 90's I had a 900 Ninja. I sold it back in 93/94 and haven't had a bike since.

I'm in the market for a bike now. If I don't retire in 2012 I'm getting one of these.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
TF- You are a glutton for punishment bro! Not the first time I have seen this picture. Glad to see you have a sense of humor and are willing to share this picture with us! You know you are getting bashed!

Why do the words "Highway to the danger zone" keep running through my head with Kenny Loggins' voice singing them?

started out with a 79 suzuki 400 that later gotturned into a dirtbike , had a twin 85 honda 750's got out of the bikes and into the girls and havent road much since , i still havent gt to ride a harley yet which is on my list to do before i die

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kat- They aren't anything special. If you ever ride one, don't ride a Sportster. They are pretty anemic on power and personally I feel cramped on them. I rode my buddy's Night Train one time. It was Screamin' Eagle everything and quite honestly it ooozed testosterone. You crank the throttle and the thing just oozed torque. That is the only Harley I ever rode that impressed me. Not very practical though. Not very comfortable. Not very reliable. Had to be real careful going around corners or the pipes would drag on the one side. It was instant testosterone when you rolled on the throttle though. I would like to ride a V-Rod sometime just to experience it.

TF- I am not a huge fan. I honestly think most of the Harleys look the same. Add $5-10k in chrome. Guess what? Still looks pretty much like the ones lined up next to it. However, (there is always a but) the one you pictured was very sharp. I am not a fan, but every now and then I see one that impresses me. The one you pictured was one of them. Hope you get it if it is what you really want.

Kaiser878

ohio
Hicks, we are gonna have to get together this summer and do a little scootering! You still have a dirt bike dont ya?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
ttt

I am getting the itch again. Borrowed my dad's Kawasaki Concours and have put a little over 100 miles on it this week. I have been scrolling craigslist and ebay. Even bought a new helmet. (Won't ride without one and mine had been in the barn too long thus falling apart.) What surprised me the most is I am riding a bike plenty capable of bringing the front wheel off the ground whenever you feel like it. It is a bike plenty capable of 100+++mph speeds. It is a sport touring bike which could allow a bit of knee dragging. BUT, I find myself short shifting and putting around on it. I think I am turning a new leaf on the road riding scene. In the past it was redlining every gear and seeing if I could beat my old record for top end speed. Just not feeling it anymore. I think it is time to open up an old chapter in my life with a newly found discipline on the road which I never had previously.

That said, I had to bring this thread back up to the top. Let's hear it. Plenty of new faces since this thread died. Who rides? What do you ride? Share some stories. What was your favorite bike? What bike did you always drool over but never owned? I know some of you have got to have some experiences to share. Don't forget the pictures either.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You people are disappointing me. Must be getting close to deer season. Nobody gives a rat's behind about motorcycles right now. Deer are on the brain. :smiley_crocodile:

I will update whether anyone is reading or not. lol

Dad has mentioned selling this bike for a couple years now. I have had it a little over a week now. I asked him if he was serious about selling. He said yes. Couple days later he came up with a number. I won't lie. It is a bit on the strong side but I have zero room to negotiate. The man drops everything when I need a hand at my house or even one of my rentals. Hang a door, hang some siding, replace a window. . . .doesn't matter and he is helping. Always refuses any compensation. If he is $500-700 higher than I wanted to be I have zero leg to argue. It is well worth it to feel like I can compensate him a little for some of his prior help.

Here are some pictures I took after washing it today. One with the rear box removed. One with the box mounted. I think the box is coming off. lmao

Stats-
Top speed- 150mph
1/4 mile- 11.6sec
Curb weight- 595lbs
Max torque- 72.3ft-lbs at 6500rpm
HP- 91hp at the rear wheel
Red line- 11,000rpm
Shaft drive
Dual front disc brakes

Last edited: