Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Starting to build my own AR

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
So I finally got the ball rollin today. I ordered a Spikes forged lower, and the Magpul MOE stock. This will take a while for me to complete, but Im looking forward to it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So I finally got the ball rollin today. I ordered a Spikes forged lower, and the Magpul MOE stock. This will take a while for me to complete, but Im looking forward to it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The right tools.

Mag vise
Upper tool
Long, correctly sized roll pin starter/punch
Long Allen wrenches
Multi head jewelers hammer
Oil
Grease
Regular punches
YouTube

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have built 10 lowers now I believe.

The Wheeler Engineering specialty tools are nice and inexpensive. The little pin set up they have for springs and detents are the tits.

The hardest things are the roll pins as they can be a bitch.

If you can build a simple Lego build you can do an AR.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Beener helped me a bunch. I've built three now. It's addictive as hell and you'll want to build another and another. I personally go for the complete uppers.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I prefer to build my uppers but cost wise I am getting the upper so cheap that it pays to just buy complete right now.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
The complete uppers that I'm looking at, to match the lower, are expensive. I don't have any of the tools. Do I might just take it to a gun shop when all the parts arrive.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
No way. You got this. You can get complete uppers for $300, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I doubt you will find a gunshop in this area that could even put one together. Not sure what is ment by 'match to lower'. There is no matching between lower and upper. As I say the lower just hold the upper and trigger together so they don't fall apart and a place to put the magazine.
But do buy the best match trigger that you can afford. I only get 2 stage triggers as I prefer the 2 stage over a 1 stage for precision shooting.

The complete uppers that I'm looking at, to match the lower, are expensive. I don't have any of the tools. Do I might just take it to a gun shop when all the parts arrive.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
What I mean by matching the upper and lower is the same manufacturer. I still have some research to do. I can only do so much at work because of website restrictions.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What do you want the AR for? That will help determinevwhat you need. Matching the upper and lowers with the same brand is nice sometimes but not always.

My all purpose shtf AR is different from my precision one which is different from my pistols and fun ones....different job different set up.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I see zero reason to match the upper and lower by manufacturer. All uppers and lowers are made to standard specs and will fit together perfectly. As Hedglj asked what do you want out of your AR?
If you want it for general varmint shooting just go with a flat top upper and mount a good scope. Plus buy the best match trigger you can afford. We probably have 10 plus AR's in the our family of 5 shooters and all have high quality match triggers. There are 223, 300BO in AR 15's and 260 Rem AR 10's.

What I mean by matching the upper and lower is the same manufacturer. I still have some research to do. I can only do so much at work because of website restrictions.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I will take that into account Frank. My reasons for wanting one is SHTF, coons, and b/c I miss my military days. Among others. :)

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I will take that into account Frank. My reasons for wanting one is SHTF, coons, and b/c I miss my military days. Among others. :)
Well here is my suggestion.

LPK pick whichever suits your fancy. Or go here and customize your own[/url] when they are in stock. Personally i prefer the magpul trigger guards as they fill in that annoying gap. I also upgrade the triggers. The ALG ACT is the best option for sub $100. I suggest geiselle if ypu want to spend more than that.

For stocks just pick what you like but watch cheek weld if you plan on putting on more than open sights or a red dot.

Then you have a nice all all purpose lower to put any upper on. Pick up uppers as funds allow and as you want to change set ups. You can also pick up lowers and assemble them as funds allow.

As to uppers. Unless you really want it to HAVE a carry handle go flattop. I dont think 14.5 inch barrels are worth the permanently attached muzzle device.

Twist rate. 1/9 is as slow as i reccomend. It may or may not shoot 69 grain bullets but will shoot any lighter weights. I prefer 1/7 twist because I can shoot as heavy as they make and may lose some accuracy with 55 grain m193 style ammo. I cannot go lighter than that because the velocity and spin rate actuslly over stabilizes them and may blow the thin varmint jackets right off. Keep in mind the ATF shenanigans and ammo availability and pricing.

Chambers. .223 can only shoot .223 safely. 5.56 can shoot either but is generally not as accurate on match type ammo. Wylde is 5.56 safe but has some characteristics of the .223 chambering to increase accuracy and is generally only found on precision influenced barrels.

Metal GI mags can be found for less than $10 with magpul followers. Magpul plastic mags can be found in the teens.

Beyond that ask away.

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im am definitely looking for 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate. Also will go with the 5.56 chamber as well. Im going to start out with the Magpul MBUS flip up sights, then later attach another sight. I will be going with the flat top upper as well. Just have to find one that I like.