Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Legendary Vermont tracker Lane Benoit passed away

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
The Benoit's have been in hunting magazines for decades. Ric and I remember their articals in NAW, with pics if snowy backgrounds of meat poles of branch antlered bucks and the whole clan dressed in wool. Larry Benoit always took his boys hunting and you can see that the apples don't fall far from the tree! Sad to hear that Lane died so young.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Loved their book, "Big Bucks the Benoit Way." Sucks to hear about this. Though most deer hunters probably never heard of the Benoits, it's still a huge loss for our sport.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Loved their book, "Big Bucks the Benoit Way." Sucks to hear about this. Though most deer hunters probably never heard of the Benoits, it's still a huge loss for our sport.

I might have to buy that book. I've read a lot of stuff online about them. Guys that hunt deer that way are far and few between.

themedic

OHIO
One of my clients from the past 2 years lives in Vermont and the Benoits only live a few miles away. He says there house is right on the main drag and as a kid he remembered going to town and looking at the bucks hanging on the meat poles. Some great stories. Think I'll see what I can get to read more about these guys....very neat. Thanks for the link.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got their book that I referenced above. If anyone wants to borrow it just send me your address in a PM. (I think I saw a book thread somewhere on TOO recently... maybe this could be included)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I might have to buy that book. I've read a lot of stuff online about them. Guys that hunt deer that way are far and few between.

Guys that hunt that way have always killed deer, big deer, even when there were few around. My buddy, Lathe, had a father like that. He would take off with his Winchester autoloader during gun season and walk. We rarely had snow for tracking, but he would still hunt around the hills of Vinton Co and kill a good deer every year. One reason that it is my favorite way to hunt, I expect. My dad taught us to be sit still and wait, Lathe's dad wouldn't sit long enough to get cold, he'd just walk up on 'em and kill 'em. This is why I love gun season!