Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NE Ohio Bowfishing

tarcher95

NE Ohio
Even with the weather being like it is I'm already thinking about bowfishing this spring. I live around the akron area and last year I did some shooting on Walborn and Wingfoot and did ok. Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight on some good lakes to hit up here in a few months.

tarcher95

NE Ohio
Welcome. I've always wanted to try bow fishing. There is a local creek I plan on trying it at. Looks like a blast if I find enough time
It really is a lot of fun. I started last year and it is a blast. You don't see a lot of people out there that do it, but i highly recommend it for anyone who likes to shoot their bow

tarcher95

NE Ohio
Nimisilla ain't bad . I shoot there some early in the yr . Turkey foot has some nice gar ....

I have heard about gar in Turkey foot but never talked to anyone that did any good with them. I will be sure to try it though. Hopefully going to get out on some night bowfishing this year. Thanks for the tip!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Guilford lake is loaded with carp as well.... Located just south of Salem in columbiana county.... It's a 9.9 hp lake....

tarcher95

NE Ohio
Guilford lake is loaded with carp as well.... Located just south of Salem in columbiana county.... It's a 9.9 hp lake....

I have relatives that live down that way so i will be sure to check it out. I usually just take an electric motor anyhow so it wont be an issue. Thanks for the info

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have relatives that live down that way so i will be sure to check it out. I usually just take an electric motor anyhow so it wont be an issue. Thanks for the info

It's a fairly shallow lake and flats everywhere, they just lay there sunning themselves and you can sneak up on them easily it seems like.... I bass fish the lake and spook them all the time well within bow range.....

Just moved here and don't know much about it but the have seen a lot of carp around the Portage Lakes area when I was down there. That lake chain looks nice and is close. If you are every looking for a partner hit me up I used to do a lot of Bow Fishing back in PA on the Allegheny and local lakes.

tarcher95

NE Ohio
Just moved here and don't know much about it but the have seen a lot of carp around the Portage Lakes area when I was down there. That lake chain looks nice and is close. If you are every looking for a partner hit me up I used to do a lot of Bow Fishing back in PA on the Allegheny and local lakes.

Yeah that would be great! For now i am just experimenting around, figuring out were to go to. Thinking about hitting up mosquito when the water opens up

tarcher95

NE Ohio
Thanks badger cant wait to get out there. Im hoping to do more fishing in general on mosquito this year. Have always wanted to but just never had the time

tarcher95

NE Ohio
If you mean with lights and all that no. lol. Me and my dad just have gone out during the day with an electric motor which works well.

badger

*Supporting Member*
If you mean with lights and all that no. lol. Me and my dad just have gone out during the day with an electric motor which works well.

Hey, apologies for the late response. Try to hit some of these spots soon before the weeds start growing. They can be hell on the electric motors and aggravating. Early season shooting is a blast. Shot a lot of fish all bundled up!

tarcher95

NE Ohio
thanks badger, I will hopefully be getting the boat all cleaned up and ready to go this week. Cant wait to get back out on the water!