Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Yots on Ice

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I was doing some things around the house this morning at 10:00 AM when I herd some yotes starting to yip and bark-cry. Looking out my back window I saw 2 at 150 yards sitting on the lake ice. I snapped a couple of pictures then went for the AR. Kicking myself for never papering it beyond 50 yards this summer I held high. I was at least 3-4 stories higher than they from my back porch, shooting down hill and guessed wrong sending the round harmlessly over its head...
These were taken through my back window.
Another day...

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sweet pics a 50 yrdzero will put you dead on at 200 if they show up again. I just told Hicks you want to see coyotes get around the ice lol.

Good to know!
We still have 3" of snow + 1-2" of ice then 12-14" on top of that. The small game is tunneling here so the hawks, owls and yots are having a bit of a hard time.
Any idea why they were both singing at 10 in the morning? They probably did it 3 times over 20-30 min.

Thank you for the kind words boys!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good to know!
We still have 3" of snow + 1-2" of ice then 12-14" on top of that. The small game is tunneling here so the hawks, owls and yots are having a bit of a hard time.
Any idea why they were both singing at 10 in the morning? They probably did it 3 times over 20-30 min.

Thank you for the kind words boys!
Lookin for love...

CJD3 said:
Kicking myself for never papering it beyond 50 yards this summer I held high. I was at least 3-4 stories higher than they from my back porch, shooting down hill and guessed wrong sending the round harmlessly over its head...

Shooting over an intended target is usually from underestimating the weapon's ability. I've done it and been along side of many other shooters that have done the same thing.

Always aim dead on and if the shot misses, the shooter and/or spotter will be able to see a bullet splash. This will give the shooter the knowledge of the bullet strike/placement. Shooting over a target tells the shooter nothing of how far off the shot may have been.

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That makes sense. I'm holding dead nuts next time. Thanks!

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Yep love struck, they look like last years pups?

I don't know. The shot was 150 yards. The two picts were half zoomed at maybe 75 yards and 120 ish yards...

But I'll be damn proud to show you a picture up-close if I kill one. :smiley_cowboy:
Your advise would be welcome!

My daughter said she saw one trotting down the ice yesterday... I'm keeping an eye out every time I walk past a window now...

Last edited:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I don't know. The shot was 150 yards. The two picts were half zoomed at maybe 75 yards and 120 ish yards...

But I'll be damn proud to show you a picture up-close if I kill one. :smiley_cowboy:
Your advise would be welcome!

My daughter said she saw one trotting down the ice yesterday... I'm keeping an eye out every time I walk past a window now...
Get out there with a call and kill those bastards so we can see them up close. They travel that ice because of the ease of getting to and from especially if you have deep snow. That and lots of food on them rivers.