Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Some good has come from the DNR screwing up deer hunting. I finally got off my ass and put in for an Arizona Elk tag. Went in with Jessica's Dad and his buddies. AZ is a group draw and you can have I believe 5 in the group. If one draws you get a tag each. We put in for 3C and another unit. The good news for me is they've been putting in for years and one of them is bound to hit soon. His brother lives out there and he usually draws an elk tag somewhere. You have to buy a license to put in for the draw so If we don't draw an elk tag we'll likely still go for an over the counter Muley tag.

Has anyone here ever chased muley or elk in AZ?

Huckleberry Finn

Got some friends that have had a lot of luck in AZ with their bows. That's about all I know.

I am going to start putting in for PA elk. Figure if I start now, in 45 years I'll have enough points. I think it's under $10 to get into the lottery each year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Got some friends that have had a lot of luck in AZ with their bows. That's about all I know.

I am going to start putting in for PA elk. Figure if I start now, in 45 years I'll have enough points. I think it's under $10 to get into the lottery each year.

Might as well put in for KY too. The trouble is all the KY elk I've seen have dumpy horns. They start out good at the bases and eye guards but fizzle out with length, points, and mass.

We should know mid April if we got drawn or not. That leaves 5-6 months for getting ready. Practice the long bombs with the bow and get in shape.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Been out there chasing desert muley. Once with a rifle and once with a bow. Never been up to the northern part.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might as well put in for KY too. The trouble is all the KY elk I've seen have dumpy horns. They start out good at the bases and eye guards but fizzle out with length, points, and mass.

We should know mid April if we got drawn or not. That leaves 5-6 months for getting ready. Practice the long bombs with the bow and get in shape.

Would it matter? On a first elk, I wouldn't care. Might pass on a spike, but the elk equivalent of a basket rack whitetail would be good for me. Got no place to hang one anyhow. Would need Boarhead Brian to come offer me suggestions on where to put it in my house. lmao

KY has some dandies. I would guess it is like anything else. Probably depends on where you are hunting. The ones I have seen there are in the area they were initially introduced. Knott County KY is where my relatives live. They call Knott Co the Elk Capitol of KY.

Hunt out west sound fun. Good luck Joe.