Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone else annoyed with the start date being on Monday?

Bigcountry40

So Turkery season opens 4/20/15 which is a monday and we can only hunt till noon. So I will not be able to turkey hunt until the weekend and will only get 4oppoturnities unitl may 3rd, when we are able to hunt all day. :smiley_boos:

Anyone else hate this?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Not really . Thats the way its always been . Least the 2 nd half ya can hunt all day . Wasn't long ago ya couldn't even do that .

Bigcountry40

I have been out of state of a few years now, never noticed it until I moved back and am able to hunt the season finally.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would say it comes in a week later than KY because Ohio is further North and green up is later. Just drive to FL in the early spring and you can see the different degrees of green up as you go South.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I know, I just know how many vocal committing toms I could have taken an advantage of the week before season. Always seems like days before season they jump roosts to be with hens. Anyone remember back in 2012, 80 degree temps by the end of March? I was mowing grass in a cutoff March 18th. It was a jungle come season. Unusual. Ohios friggin weird, could be 50's where I live and 2.5 hours north near the lakes they could be getting hammered with snow.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Weather undoubtedly plays a role . I myself like hunting later in the season when ya got some cover to move on birds , and they can't pick ya out as easy from the roost . Early season birds are more patternable since they haven't been messed with for awhile. After their missed , or standing next to a buddy when he gets executed things change . If I had to pick tho I'd rather hunt after there are some leaves . And some of the hens are sitting the nest . Toughest part of Turkey hunting is hens and other hunters.

Being on Monday is a blessing for dedicated/avid turkey hunters as it keeps the number of "Saturday Specials" (i.e. guys who go buy a license just for something to do) down and gives those willing to use vacation for such events first nabs at the easy birds that they have been scouting for months instead of the random tom/dick/harry just setting up and getting lucky.

Also coming from PA I am very excited the season starts on the 20th because in PA it usually doesn't start until May and based on many years of hunting I have concluded that they intentional are doing this to split the breeding cycle.