Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Changes ahead

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Map of the 2015-2016 deer bag limit proposals. Also to note, suspending the early muzzy season and putting youth gun in its place, and reinstating the bonus 2-day gun season, and reducing statewide limit from 9 to 6. Sorry... I don't have the link to the news release.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423760515479.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423760515479.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 127

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
That sucks BIG TIME...WHY in the hell do they want to move youth gun season to early October? Where it was was the perfect time for it...bucks were actually moving, and crops are off by then...and it gives kids a legitimate chance at killing a deer! They cant keep anything that makes any sense.

fuggin bullshit to put the youth season during the October Lull. IDIOTIC

And how in the hell is my county a 3 deer county when all of the southern counties are 2 deer counties!

Jim, are you screwing with us here?

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No antlerless tags for me next season.... So I can kill the same # of deer as last year just have too spend a few more bucks in the process I guess....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sucks BIG TIME...WHY in the hell do they want to move youth gun season to early October? Where it was was the perfect time for it...bucks were actually moving, and crops are off by then...and it gives kids a legitimate chance at killing a deer! They cant keep anything that makes any sense.

And how in the hell is my county a 3 deer county when all of the southern counties are 2 deer counties!

Nope, it's legit Chad. I think youth season was moved up so weather would be a little nicer for the kids. I would think it would make gun season a little better too, having a longer break in between youth and regular gun.

yotehunter

spencerville oh

I agree Gern this is what I've said about Allen co for three years my exact thoughts. Its crazy.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nope, it's legit Chad. I think youth season was moved up so weather would be a little nicer for the kids. I would think it would make gun season a little better too, having a longer break in between youth and regular gun.

Nice weather for the kids to sit out there and not see shit....bowhunting is at its absolute worst the 2nd week of October...this is a surefire way to make sure no kids become any more interested in hunting...i bet the squirrels will be moving good on those 2 mornings when its in the low 50's....what a fuggin joke!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice weather for the kids to sit out there and not see shit....bowhunting is at its absolute worst the 2nd week of October...this is a surefire way to make sure no kids become any more interested in hunting...i bet the squirrels will be moving good on those 2 mornings when its in the low 50's....what a fuggin joke!

There's no deer to see anyways!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yea there are...but taking the season and moving it to early October versus the peak of the rut is a good way to make people think there are none. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Essentially, they changed nothing in NW Ohio. Statistics have shown a very small percentage of hunters shoot more than one deer. Smaller percentage shoot more than two. A very minute percentage shot 4. They left NW Ohio alone outside of costing hunters more money to tag a doe. It will not help our population rebound. Clearly, a rebound in NW Ohio was not on their agenda. On the outside, it may appear they are helping the herd, but it won't make a difference. I agree with NOT moving youth season as well. Hard enough to get my son to see deer. He will struggle to see deer in the October lull moreso than before. Drop early antlerless ML season but add Bonus weekend back in? That doesn't help. I am guessing turnout for the early doe ML must have been dismal. These changes don't impress me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I heard that from 2013 to 2014, youth harvests during that early muzzy season increased by 50%. So obviously the kids were taking advantage of that early opportunity. I personally think it's a decent approach. Plus, if you still want your kids to hunt in November when there's supposedly better opportunity, nothing says you can't still take them out there with a crossbow in their hands.

teej89

NE PA
Also not cool to have back to back gun seasons with bonus gun and muzzy season.

yeah that blows, by late muzzy the deer are typically back to their normal habits after the beating they took during gun season.

i'm all for the tag reduction, not for the youth season being moved even tho I don't hunt w/ any youths

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Somebody try and help me understand this. Van wert counties kill up 85 deer this year they reduce it too a 2 deer county. Allen co has dropped 10 this year alone and I believe it was down last year and they leave it a 3 deer county. And if they truly wanted a good youth season it would be the first week of any season at all. Let's face it if a kid wants to shoot their first deer give them the first chance. That's what they do with the turkey season and it works out. If a kid wants to kill a Boomer then let them do it with a bow during the rut.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
WTF. Good way for the kids to see and shoot less deer in nice weather and mess up bow hunting. All the red areas are around you large cities. And why in the hell don't they move the ML season back to between Christmas and New Years?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I don't see the ODOW downbound train slowing much at all. Many parts of SE Ohio have been hammered, just look at the stats for the last few years. Going from 3 to 2 deer in a county shouldn't make much difference if most don't shoot two or more.

So much for keeping my kids interested in hunting. Still have fall sports in October on the weekends. Will adults be able to hunt with a bow that weekend? I can imagine a few adult gun-shot, bow-tagged bucks falling that weekend.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The youth move is bullshit, but I think they are trying to take the place of the early muzzy by making this move. Kids won't see bucks during this time so they'll shoot does. It also looks like archery is a week longer than it normally is.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
These are just proposals, nothing set in stone yet? Let's hope. Bag limits I really don't have an issue with, but don't mess with the kids youth season...its only 2 days to begin with. Give the kids a good chance at a good buck....because it's not gonna happen on Oct. 11th !

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't see the ODOW downbound train slowing much at all. Many parts of SE Ohio have been hammered, just look at the stats for the last few years. Going from 3 to 2 deer in a county shouldn't make much difference if most don't shoot two or more.

So much for keeping my kids interested in hunting. Still have fall sports in October on the weekends. Will adults be able to hunt with a bow that weekend? I can imagine a few adult gun-shot, bow-tagged bucks falling that weekend.

An adult still has to wear orange while bowhunting during any gun season. I killed my buck the first day of youth on November 22nd.