Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What happened?

Buckmaster

Portage
With almost 2 feet of snow in my yard....critters are moving at a minimum....unless you're a squirrel that can walk across snow.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Mine disappeared somehow. I had 3 come up MIA. I still got one big one and there is 2 snares waiting for him now. Brian is on break. If it gets cold again, look out!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I still have 12 to get out this week but not sure how I'm going to have time. Got some deer legs to put out also. Tried some coyote urine last night but my main trail got flooded out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Called last night. Had to go throw salt and was done before sunrise. Called this morning. No verbal responses. No visual sightings. I did see some deer. 2 bucks probably year and a half olds. Still carrying. It is weird. On two of the properties I called I saw more coyote tracks than deer. I think often times it comes down to whether they are in the area or not. Other times, it depends on if they are hungry or not. I am sure they are around. Just not having any luck. Maybe I just suck at it. that is a good possibility as well.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I called my first yote in on my first set, in the first 10 mins of the hunt on Sunday morning. Unfortunately he came running up through the in-laws pasture that was full of sheep. Had one clear shot at 250 yards but didn't want to shoot through the fence.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What calls do you use in early February?

Extreme cold? Distressed animal. Like a deer, they follow their belly. I also go with female howls, invitation howls, occasionally a male challenge howl/bark. Thinking it is mating season is my reasoning. I have had success with both. Honestly though, "success" rarely equates dead coyotes for me. Success is often nothing more than a return vocalization or sighting in the distance without being able to narrow the gap. Other times, I have had situations like yours where I "can" shoot, but backdrop of my shot tells me I shouldn't shoot. i.e. House or barn too close for my comfort or shooting in a direction I am simply not comfortable with. In my opinion, calling them in is extremely rewarding when you have some success but it is probably the least effective killing method.

I believe Gern generally tracks them in the snow on foot. Not easy. Easier than trying to bring them to you though. Downside? You better have tons of ground with permission.