Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Drawing a line in the sand?

themedic

OHIO
You've been hunting a monster buck for 2 seasons and never got a shot or even a peak at the truly amazing whitetail besides trail cam pics. Yet one Sunday morning (during 2nd rut) before church you step out on your back porch with a cup of coffee and he is standing beside your Glendale Buck sizing him down. Bows on the hanger just inside, 20 yard chip shot you've made a zillion times????? Do you take the shot or do you hunt for a different reason?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You've been hunting a monster buck for 2 seasons and never got a shot or even a peak at the truly amazing whitetail besides trail cam pics. Yet one Sunday morning (during 2nd rut) before church you step out on your back porch with a cup of coffee and he is standing beside your Glendale Buck sizing him down. Bows on the hanger just inside, 20 yard chip shot you've made a zillion times????? Do you take the shot or do you hunt for a different reason?

Given the history and the hunts logged, take the shot. We as hunters try our best to put ourselves in a position to harvest a target buck, but at the end of the day we don't get to make the call for the final situation. It up to luck and chance. We can try to sway that in out favor by hunting smarter, harder, and use different methods. You never know when that moment will come. For example. Say you have the same situation with a target buck. I mean you've this sucks your all. One morning you decide to go to another stand on the other side of the property to shoot a freezer doe. Give the target buck hunting a rest for a day and just enjoy a doe hunt. Next thing you know you have your target buck working in at 50 yards. Only a fool would leave his bow on the hanger and say "I didn't plan to kill you today and this wasn't part of my tactic so you get a pass". I don't think the backyard example is any different.

Now. If it was a deer you had no history or effort with, I could see letting him pass as there would be no sense of earning it. No struggle or success. Just killing. Is probably still shoot a big bastard like that. But it would in no way hold the prestige of a target buck.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
At this point, if one of the two we've been hunting showed up in my backyard, he would leave with an arrow. As Joe aptly pointed out, effort is great, luck is king. We only hope for them to make one mistake and show themselves in daylight one time...if they would show up in the backyard, I'd thank the hunting gods for the gift and know I was lucky....exactly as I would if they showed in front of a set Ive hunted with high hopes of seeing them.

Last edited:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I know exactly what I'd do..... kill him! Had this situation this year first hand. Had Wowza at 30 yards on Monday from the tree with no shot, Tuesday he was in my yard tending his doe but I had my son and didn't attempt it, Wednesday he was back in my yard all alone. Grabbed the bow, put the stalk on and killed him at 40 yards. Honestly don't feel any different than if I would of shot him Monday from the tree. Actually more exciting stalking him!

JPN

coshocton
I'd shoot for sure. Like Joe said, even if I didn't have history with him and its a monster Im shooting.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I knew what you meant and I knew you played by the rules. You are doing a fine job with teaching your son. I just had to tease as the wording didn't sound this way.

Jamie

Ohio
I don't think I'd shoot a buck out my back door no matter how big he was or what history I had him. it's a fair chase issue for me even if it would be "legal". sometimes its more important how we kill them than simply making them dead by whatever means is necessary or available. a big buck in my back yard doesn't not really constitute a fair opportunity in my head.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
If it was a target buck and it was in season? I'd prolly choot him dead. Really not much difference in putting out a corn pile in my opinion. I wouldn't consider it one of my greatest accomplishments, but luck has no boundaries.

themedic

OHIO
We as hunters try our best to put ourselves in a position to harvest a target buck, but at the end of the day we don't get to make the call for the final situation.

Loved your articulated response Joe but thats just what this post is about…making the decision. Maybe not when but how.

For those who said SHOOT the SOB, same scenario but it's opening week or day of the season (NOT late in the season)! Keep in mind you've been waiting to hunt this buck all summer. Does this effect your decision?

Last edited:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I've been waiting a good while to shoot a target buck, I would already have it in my mind on how & where to shoot. Just the same, I've learned over & over that opportunity doesn't always present itself in the ideal situation & you pay for it. Therefore, I'd be back inside racing for my weapon before the coffee mug hits the floor.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Loved your articulated response Joe but thats just what this post is about…making the decision. Maybe not when but how.

For those who said SHOOT the SOB, same scenario but it's opening week or day of the season (NOT late in the season)! Keep in mind you've been waiting to hunt this buck all summer. Does this effect your decision?

Negative, a target deer is a target deer. Back in my filming days there's no way in hell I would shoot from a house or anything that didn't provide a good story line or footage.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Shooting in my yard is not realistic for a target buck. Probably most on here would NEVER see an opportunity in their yard. Let's say I get out of my vehicle at Land owner's. Deer is in their yard or close to my vehicle. Putting a stalk to get within range whether it be on their grass or along the edge of a woods or field would not change. You hunted the animal. You were there to hunt the specific deer if it was a target. First day or last day of the season wouldn't matter. 99% of the time in early season I have a target or two picked out. IF it was borderline "shooter" for me, he would probably get a pass. Then again, if it involved a stalk and ground kill. . .to me this is quite an accomplishment in itself, buck or doe.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I say shoot.

I don't see how that is any different then say "I was on the way to my stand, and there the buck stood on a trail didn't see me so I drew back and killed him" If an opportunity presents itself, and its LEGAL you should have no shame in killing that buck.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The deer we are hunting will never be in my yard either. With that said, earlier in the season I wouldnt shoot from my parking spot. For a hunt of any kind to be enjoyed, to me, there has to be a certain amount of effort, suffering maybe, before the end. I want to work at it. Perhaps thats why a cornpile is ok in late season but not earlier... in 1993 my bride hunted the first day of bowseason with me. She killed a 142" net ten point I had been keeping tabs on. She had not been in the woods an hour. She found little joy in it and hasnt shot a deer since! Cake taste better if youve had to eat a little crap first.