Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New to hunting

alverson.c0528

Hey everyone,
I am going to be new to hunting this upcoming season (would've done it last season but my son was born in September). I was just wanting to get general advice as far as bow hunting. Things like stand versus stalk, how to predict wind, how much to practice, etc.
I am planning on using the diamond infinite edge that I bought 1.5 years ago with a draw weight of 50 lbs.
Really, I am just looking for good advice, no real specific questions as of yet considering that I have never gone hunting before. Also, new to this whole forum thing. I feel I should also mention that I am in central ohio and the option of traveling is limited.
Thanks.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Welcome to TOO! There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I would recommend spending a few days reading up on some of past threads in the bow hunting and general Ohio deer hunting forums. As far as practice, I would recommend practicing with your bow as often as you can, but I try to at least shoot a couple days a week when I know I will be hitting the woods. I prefer stand over stalk, but just because I like the height advantage because of visibility and being able to see at greater distances. I am usually conscious of wind and just check the forecast the day of the hunt, then pick my stand location. No predicting a wind change or swirling though, so I would recommend showering with scent free soap and shampoo, then smoking up with the Scent Smoker. Best of luck to you!

http://www.scentsmoker.com/

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the site. Look around and you'll find a lot of great threads to learn from. To address specific questions, get a comfortable treestand. Get familiar with weather.com and practice as much as you can. Bowhunting is an addiction, so I hope you're ready to dive in the deep end!

Welcome!! You certainly came to the right place to get you started on answering your questions. Best thing you can do is get to know your equipment real well and shoot often. As time goes on you will be asking what broadheads and other questions like why they don't fly like your field tips LOL. We are here to help as you progress. Do you have land you will be hunting on next season or are you planning state land?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome aboard! It sounds like you are thinking of bowhunting deer to start off with? If so, I want to suggest you look at doing some small game hunting, particularly squirrels. Season comes in on September 1 every year, nearly a month prior to bow season. For a beginner, squirrels will teach you a lot! In order to be successful, you should find what they are eating, learn to be still. Listen for tell-tale sounds and movements that give away their presence...all the things you'll later apply to deer hunting.

Beginners luck is a real thing, IMO, but don't be surprised if you struggle at first getting close to deer. It's only fun because it's challenging, and learning to do it properly is a process. Enjoy the process.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you are close to Columbus, look into Apache Bowhunters Club. It's located just south of Columbus at the edge of Lockbourne. You'll find more good advice and more well-intentioned "have to's" than you can hold at any archery range, Apache will be no different. I'm sure there are more than a couple members that would be happy to help you with any questions you might have regarding hunting with archery gear.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO. Try and find a experienced hunter close by for a mentor.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Best advice I can come up with at the moment is to start scouting right now for next season. Season is just over so there is no need to really worry about spooking deer, they already are. The snow on the ground will reveal trails and foods sources. You will also want to keep an eye out for rubs on trees. The bucks will also be shedding antlers soon, finding those will give you an idea what kind of bucks you have around.

I prefer a stand over stalking, especially in ohio. Practice as much as you can. Above all, have fun with it, if it starts to feel more like work than fun, step away from it for a bit.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First off: Welcome to TOO.

Great advice given already and a plethora of information on this website. Lots of it comes down to personal opinions (what brand arrow, which type of arrow rest or sight, etc.). Dante offered some golden advice above me. Scouting right now is awesome. Leaves off the trees, and snow on the ground tell us a lot. You can see better now than you will be able to after April when everything is green.

Stands or stalking? Stands for me. Stalking with a bow is not easily mastered. I have much respect for those who have success at it.

Outside of practice practice practice, I would think securing land to hunt and reading on TOO would be most beneficial for you as a new hunter. Good luck!

alverson.c0528

I have not yet secured any private land but was planning on talking to a few land owners in the next week or two. Otherwise, I live on knox lake and would have easy access to public land.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have not yet secured any private land but was planning on talking to a few land owners in the next week or two. Otherwise, I live on knox lake and would have easy access to public land.

I would do your best to secure some private land. Your not the only one with easy access to public land. If you have any friends that hunt, talk to them, maybe they could get you in where they hunt or start you in the right direction.