Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the Plot...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Live from the stand was fairly popular so why not a live from the plot thread..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Your crazy...I'm starting now...got LOTS to do...This is tree ordering season..

rsmith

Your crazy...I'm starting now...got LOTS to do...This is tree ordering season..

Hahah very true. I just placed my pre-order for 2 acres of Eagle Seed Big Fellow soybeans, and ordered 2 pear and one apple tree from a local tree farm. Going to plant 1 pear and 1 apple back by my plot and the other pear about 60 yards away from it off of a pathway that will have beans planted down it to help motivate some more travel that way. I also need to get another stand to put on that path and also I need to put up the stand I just bought on a merge point of 2 trails that then leads to my plot. After watching my #1,2, and 3 shooter bucks all walk that path during the rut to scent check I realized I have a lot to learn still. The trial is to the East and with a pro dominantly West wind scent blows right down the trail. If I would have set up a doe or buck decoy with some scent on it on the SW side of the plot; most likely the bucks would have fell right into my lap. Instead they nearly wandered around the plot and stood at 50 yards and were at the farthest corner of the plot staying closest to the edge of the blackberry bush line. But with 2 new stands set up I should have a pretty good idea what to hunt when. I also need to round up, weed wack, and clear out, and till the new path I want to plant with beans. With only a push mower, a weed wacker, hedge clippers, and a rear tine tiller it should have me occupied for awhile. I just got done cutting about a 100ftx150ft section of blackberry bushes down last week so I could plant more beans in my plot. Figured do it now while they are easy to cut than to fuss with it later. I may do 3 or 4 rows 20 inches apart of corn around my beans to give the deer a secluded/safer feel when in the plot.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hahah very true. I just placed my pre-order for 2 acres of Eagle Seed Big Fellow soybeans, and ordered 2 pear and one apple tree from a local tree farm. Going to plant 1 pear and 1 apple back by my plot and the other pear about 60 yards away from it off of a pathway that will have beans planted down it to help motivate some more travel that way. I also need to get another stand to put on that path and also I need to put up the stand I just bought on a merge point of 2 trails that then leads to my plot. After watching my #1,2, and 3 shooter bucks all walk that path during the rut to scent check I realized I have a lot to learn still. The trial is to the East and with a pro dominantly West wind scent blows right down the trail. If I would have set up a doe or buck decoy with some scent on it on the SW side of the plot; most likely the bucks would have fell right into my lap. Instead they nearly wandered around the plot and stood at 50 yards and were at the farthest corner of the plot staying closest to the edge of the blackberry bush line. But with 2 new stands set up I should have a pretty good idea what to hunt when. I also need to round up, weed wack, and clear out, and till the new path I want to plant with beans. With only a push mower, a weed wacker, hedge clippers, and a rear tine tiller it should have me occupied for awhile. I just got done cutting about a 100ftx150ft section of blackberry bushes down last week so I could plant more beans in my plot. Figured do it now while they are easy to cut than to fuss with it later. I may do 3 or 4 rows 20 inches apart of corn around my beans to give the deer a secluded/safer feel when in the plot.
dont seperate your trees too much. they might need to pollinate each other. I wouldnt do corn but maybe a plot screen product. corn is expensive and hard to grow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Im afraid i'll have nothing to add here... I may help one landowner plant beans and corn...

rsmith

After reevaluating my situation I may just get 4 apple trees instead of 2 pear and 1 apple. I may call and see if I can switch to 2 Goldrush and 2 Jonafree so I have 2 varieties and also they mature at different times and will pollinate good with each other

Milo

Tatonka guide.
dont be afraid of crabapples. they grow fast and will put on tons of mast. i have a couple that get hit really hard. they attract a bunch of pollinators also.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Screw food plots. I need to rid my properties of trespassers. Food plots don't matter if everyone and their brother is bumble fugging around through your property. Think I just figured out how to save money on fertilizer next year.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
dont be afraid of crabapples. they grow fast and will put on tons of mast. i have a couple that get hit really hard. they attract a bunch of pollinators also.

I know there are a lot of varieties of crab apples, what do you think is the best? Do you find they need as much sunlight as other apple trees?

I released two last year that were growing in an old thicket, anything you suggest fertilizing them with?>

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't feel they need that much sun. I have some in what I would call semi sun and one in full sun. Both do well. With crabs I don't get caught up on species. They will eat them. Also leave lots of room for them to sucker..With trees I feel fertilizers are useless. Soil ph means more to a tree

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I don't feel they need that much sun. I have some in what I would call semi sun and one in full sun. Both do well. With crabs I don't get caught up on species. They will eat them. Also leave lots of room for them to sucker..With trees I feel fertilizers are useless. Soil ph means more to a tree

thanks buddy! Makes sense!

with the crabs do you cut the suckers like you would on regular trees or let them grow?