Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Interesting

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ran across some pictures of a clear lower for an AR and thought it looked pretty cool, don't think I'd ever go that route as it just seems like it wouldn't handle the rigors of a SHTF time.... Opinions?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422805991.627653.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422806010.009777.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422806026.794557.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422806040.612819.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I sell plastic for a living. I have no problems telling people that plastic is not right for their application if it isn't.

A plastic AR lower has no practical, long term functional benefits I can think of. IF it were of a composite with higher temp and strength etc etc, it would certainly cost WAY more than metal right now.

Unless you want the novelty of an item, don't even consider spending a dime.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The upper takes almost all the stresses of firing. Polymer lowers aren't new and seem to function fine. That said a transparent lower recieve isn't for me.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Exactly. The lower just holds the barrel from falling off and a place to hold the trigger, mag, and butt stock.

The pistol grip is nice and we use them.

The butt stock 'wrist support' the ATF on 1-16-15 issued a new ruling that if you put the butt against you shoulder you have changed the character of the item and you will have a illegal short barrel rifle using less than 16" barrel.

The upper takes almost all the stresses of firing. Polymer lowers aren't new and seem to function fine. That said a transparent lower recieve isn't for me.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Exactly. The lower just holds the barrel from falling off and a place to hold the trigger, mag, and butt stock.

The pistol grip is nice and we use them.

The butt stock 'wrist support' the ATF on 1-16-15 issued a new ruling that if you put the butt against you shoulder you have changed the character of the item and you will have a illegal short barrel rifle using less than 16" barrel.
Dont get me started on how much b.s. is in that ATF letter. Though it appears Sig and SB may take them to court on it.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Dont get me started on how much b.s. is in that ATF letter. Though it appears Sig and SB may take them to court on it.

I think your president has told the ATF to look at rules and reinterpret them to make things more difficult for manufacturers, destributers, dealers and owners.