Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need advice.. New job offer

Strother23

Columbus, OH
The job I'm currently working is day shift mom-fri 7a-5p and it's busy, work also come home with me. I answer calls randomly while I'm off to fix things. I work about 50hrs through the week. Yesterday I got offered a job making 8$ more an hour. The catch is it's on a funky shift Sat.Sun 5a-5p and Monday Tuesday I'll work 3p-11p. I'm really torn. It sounds like a simple choice to take the job making more money. I'm just not sure I want to give up day shift hours and miss out on family time on the weekends. Any advice from you all on here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
That is a goofy schedule. Do you have kids? What ages? Does the little lady work? How's her schedule? Most importantly what does she think of this?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey man, I just switched back from working nights(6:30pm to 3 am) for 5 years and realize how much nicer it is to be home with the family every night. Made 3-4k more per year but like Mike said, money ain't everything. The big downfall is I work weekends and I'm off Mon/Tues and driving the outer belt around Cincy(275) sucks ass at rush time it's a move I'm glad I made. I now work 7:30am to 4pm so traffic is bad both ways but at least I'm home every night!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
So 4 days on, 3 days off.........That's not bad depending on the home life with kids, wife, family....ect. One plus is come bow season those 3 days off during the week would be sweet without the weekend traffic in the woods.

One thing you did not mention is benefits. That is a big factor to me at my age ( GOOD HEALTH INSURANCE ), and I changed jobs because of that in additional to the hours I was working in the oil field and not having a life with my beautiful wife Laura.

Congrat's on the offer, I am sure you will make the right choice.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I could make more but choose not TOO because I like my schedule/freedom. I make extra money by including hobbies that I can make money at.

I would not work that schedule unless the kids were grown or I had no other option.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
In my line of work I have gotten several job offers from other companies some more money some less. Some better hours some not. Weigh the options but just realize that if your working just for money but don't have time/freedom to spend it with your family and on your hobbies you'll be miserable.

Good luck!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Working the weekends don't look bad now but when its the middle of summer its going to suck big time. Like said above money ain't everything!!!

I dont mind working 3 to 11. If you sleep a little you can get a morning hunt in before your pre go to work nap. Having days off during the week is also prime if you hunt public lands because hardly anyone else is hunting. Just make sure to account for early morning traffic that might slow down your drive to your hunting spot. Plus it makes running errands easier because there are fewer people out and about. It could suck if your wife and or kids dont like it. Also is this new job something that you are passionate about or enjoy doing and not just a pay raise.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Money is nice, but it isn't everything. I work 12 hour shift work, and work weekends as well. I thought it was gonna be greak, but working weekends makes it really hard with a family, as that's always when everyone working a m-f job does things. It's a sacrifice, and that's why there's more money there IMO. The evening shift would be nice, but if you are a family that does a lot on the weekends, you might want to reconsider.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great points. Not prying, but throwing questions out you need to answer for yourself. Do you NEED the extra $8/hr? Are the rewards of the extra money worth the hassles of the hours? Wife and kids okay with it (if you have any)?Benefits? Is there opportunity to change shifts later? Long term stability at risk in either of the jobs? If both are stable companies, then you need to ask if there is any upward mobility at either of the jobs?

Good luck. Sounds like a great opportunity. Best time to make a decision about a new job is when you already have a job and don't HAVE to take the job.

teej89

NE PA
If it were me I wouldn't do it. I'm assuming you have kids when you say family. Growing up the weekends were the only time I could ever hunt with my dad when I was in school and I'd miss out hunting every other weekend due to my dads work schedule and there wasn't anything I could do about it. He would take vaca tho in november so we could hunt more. It didn't bother me because I had sports but it bothered him and now looking back i wish I had those extra two weekends. Also in the summer he wouldn't be able to make it to most of our sporting events and could only make it to some of the kids but not the others. No weekends is rough. I could see if your kids were outta school and on their own it wouldn't be an issue. Just my $0.02.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Phil made some great points!

I used to work ALL the time. I had to. Now I don't. We just started closing on Sunday and Monday. One of my buddies pointed out that we are going to lose business by not being open on Mondays (we've never been open on Sunday at this shop). I told him I just don't care, I don't need much to live on, I just need more time to live!

These decisions can only be made by you as you know where you are in life. If you need the extra $$$$, do the work and put up with the weird hours. If you are happy as is, leave it alone.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to have to work a lot of weekends when my kids were growing up and it sucked, I don't have to anymore and life is so much better now and the wife and I were just saying the other day how nice and fortunate we are that with our jobs we never have to work weekends. As the others said money isn't everything especially if you end up miserable when you miss a lot of time with the family. It also gets old if you have days off through the week and everyone else is working gets pretty boring unless hunting season is in.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Do what makes you happy, not what makes more $. Chasing the $ will simply lead to frustration in the end, which leads to unhappiness.....been there, done that, never going back.

I agree with RD on the benefits, and all other fringe benefits. There is a lot more to the equation then just pay/salary. Always great when you get approached for a new position, reminds you of what you are worth. If this new gig does not work out, atleast you know what you are worth to others. Use that to your benefit and start doing some looking. Never close a door, always have the conversation....whatcha go to lose? Good luck with your decision!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A weekend here and there is okay. If it is every weekend, I am sure it would get old. I am self employed. With it comes times of zero flexibility and times of great flexibility. This weekend we have a big snow storm rolling in. I will be virtually nonexistent to my family. That said, 60% of our annual gross revenue is generated in a 4 month window. If it snows on the weekend. . . .I am working. This brings me to another thought: Are these fixed hours? Did they tell you specifically the days and hours? Did they mention any deviations from the schedule? Mandated overtime? I only ask because if you go in knowing the hours are going to suck, but then their demands for additional hours and days to come in happens to increase. . . .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd have to make a shit ton more money to give up my weekends.

Lots of great points already made. I switched gigs in October and got lucky in that there was really no thinking about it. I did make a list os Pros vs Cons. It was comical, but still a good exercise. Sounds like it would be worth doing in your case.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I'd have to make a shit ton more money to give up my weekends.

Lots of great points already made. I switched gigs in October and got lucky in that there was really no thinking about it. I did make a list os Pros vs Cons. It was comical, but still a good exercise. Sounds like it would be worth doing in your case.

Not comical at all. I am always amazed at how clear things become when they are written in front of me, brain juices seem to increase.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Il try to answer a lot of the questions above. I have a wife and kids. 3yr old son 18month old daughter. The job I'm at now doesn't have very good benefits and I have 0 vacation days for another year. My wife works as a nurse and she has a flexible schedule. To new job possibility is higher pay, better benefits, and day 1 I get 18 days of vaca but I have to work the funky shift. Both companies are stable and both jobs are in the same field doing very similar things. But I agree with the ones that say every weekend will get old. That's what has me torn. I appreciate everyone's views on the situation. It's good to read everyone's take on it
I also planned on doing a pros and con list this weekend for both jobs. Might help if I get to see everything if it's on paper

Last edited: