Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

decisions

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i got a call the other day and i won a fishing trip to fish lake superior and another lake in michagan for 5 days 6 nights for free. lodging and meals included so all i have to do is pay for gas and my license. then they tell me if i didnt want to do that they would give me a 1000 bucks off a kansas deer hunt to horseshoe hill outfitters, id love to do the hunt but the fishing trip would be awesome too. the hunt would cost me about 3000 grand by the time i get everything and pay for the rest of the trip, what would you guys do.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You got an extra 3K $ laying around that would cover the trip that you wouldn't miss? If so go for it, if not go fishing......

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Be tough to spend $3000 to hunt for me personally. Not familiar with the outfitter, but for those numbers I guess they are well known? $1500-2000 to hunt an out of state outfitter would be more doable for me.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I love to fish and I love to hunt.......either way you can't go wrong. As far as the hunt goes perhaps do some research on the outfitter. Call and talk to him, get some references ( not that they always help, no one give a bad reference ). You know you will come back with fish, the hunt is as we all know "hunting". If all checks out and you got the cash deer hunt. Just my 2 cents.

teej89

NE PA
I'd say do the hunt but 100% but do your homework first on the outfitter. Call him and talk to him, ask for references and make sure you're not just getting references of people who've killed something. A good guide will not be biased in his references because even tho ppl may not have killed one they still had a great experience. Also go on google and look at some reviews too. Sometimes you can find threads from other forums on the guy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'd go fishing, but I really like to fish. Then again, if you are going to be set up to troll, I'd go hunting. I hate charter-type trolling....more boring than sleeping. Congratulations on having a tough choice to make. No wrong decision here.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
the hunt would be my first choice but i know i wont get anything done but working to come up with the extra money, ive checked around and it looks like there a good outfitter, they have some giants that have been killed there. the first 4 days of fishing would be on lake gogebic, and its what they call semi guided, they give me the boat and send me out by myself. i could fish anyway i want. small mouth walleye pearch and pike would be my main targets there then the last day they drive you up to lake superior for lake trout ive never fished for those so it would be neat itself. if i cant get anyone to go with me on the fishing trip im going to try to make the deer hunt because i cant see me sitting in a boat by myself for four days. even tho i love to fish its much easier too sit in a tree by yourself then fish alone.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The first 4 days sounds like a blast! If you have never fished up north, you have no idea how great it is. If you have, you know what you'd be missing. Lake trout fishing for one day would be a good experience for you since you've never done it. When I was a kid I caught a few while trolling for kings, they referred to them as "greasers", it's an oily fish and a lot of fun to catch. Trolling for them and kings is better than trolling for walleye, provided you are fishing with someone that actually lets you fight the fish with fairly light gear vs using a winch on a stiff rod. They are fast, and can burn the line off a light dragged reel. I'd go fishing...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
The first 4 days sounds like a blast! If you have never fished up north, you have no idea how great it is. If you have, you know what you'd be missing. Lake trout fishing for one day would be a good experience for you since you've never done it. When I was a kid I caught a few while trolling for kings, they referred to them as "greasers", it's an oily fish and a lot of fun to catch. Trolling for them and kings is better than trolling for walleye, provided you are fishing with someone that actually lets you fight the fish with fairly light gear vs using a winch on a stiff rod. They are fast, and can burn the line off a light dragged reel. I'd go fishing...

Agree with Brock. Lakers are a blast. We used to get them while chasing Kings in the St. Joseph river in Michigan. Talk about a blast hooking up with those in a swift river. As oily as they are, they are delicious out of the smoker. I preferred those over the Salmon. And those other days of fishing for multiple species would be a blast. Most of those lakes up there are just loaded with giant gills to fill up a cooler with

at1010

*Supporting Member*
the hunt would be my first choice but i know i wont get anything done but working to come up with the extra money, ive checked around and it looks like there a good outfitter, they have some giants that have been killed there. the first 4 days of fishing would be on lake gogebic, and its what they call semi guided, they give me the boat and send me out by myself. i could fish anyway i want. small mouth walleye pearch and pike would be my main targets there then the last day they drive you up to lake superior for lake trout ive never fished for those so it would be neat itself. if i cant get anyone to go with me on the fishing trip im going to try to make the deer hunt because i cant see me sitting in a boat by myself for four days. even tho i love to fish its much easier too sit in a tree by yourself then fish alone.

ya man go kill a KS pig!