Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB ISO a ar 10 in 243

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Can't seem to find one around. Talked to three dealers and they can't find any at the distributors. Any help would be appreciated. And I'm kinda looking at the 204. Both seem hard to come by.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would think you'd be better off building one when looking for an off caliber for the ar platform....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I would think you'd be better off building one when looking for an off caliber for the ar platform....

Yea I talked to a guy today about a build. He had never done a 243 so he wasn't sure about the components. He is a rock river dealer and tried too get me talked into a 556 wild rock river.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There's some good knowledgeable folks on here, Beener may be more qualified then I on it as he's got a build under his belt but the lower I believe won't be the issue it'll be the upper... Might be a little pricier as it's not a typical ar round but shouldn't break the bank either....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
There's some good knowledgeable folks on here, Beener may be more qualified then I on it as he's got a build under his belt but the lower I believe won't be the issue it'll be the upper... Might be a little pricier as it's not a typical ar round but shouldn't break the bank either....

Is the lower just standard 308 frame? I assume. And yea even the uppers are hard to find. I do understand that it may be pricey because or the odd ball caliber.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Is the lower just standard 308 frame? I assume. And yea even the uppers are hard to find. I do understand that it may be pricey because or the odd ball caliber.
Ar 10 lower I believe. I think I may know where a remington is in 243.. Camo.. I will need to ask him if he still has it

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
There are at least two major types of AR10 lowers. These are based upon the type of magazines they take. I reccomend going the SR25 style route because magpul supports them eith their magazines. Also the uppers and lowers from different manufacturers may not always fit because there is no standard like in AR15s.

For example you take any spec ar15 upper and lower and they will work together, this is not always true in AR10s.

To do a .243 you would need an AR 10, for .204 an AR15 will work. White oak armament i know makes 204 uppers.

To do .243 you would need all the parts for a .308 AR10 upper and lower except the barrel, eveything else should work.

Other than Georgia precision and other semi to full custom shops i dont knoe of anyone offerring an AR10 in .243.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
There are at least two major types of AR10 lowers. These are based upon the type of magazines they take. I reccomend going the SR25 style route because magpul supports them eith their magazines. Also the uppers and lowers from different manufacturers may not always fit because there is no standard like in AR15s.

For example you take any spec ar15 upper and lower and they will work together, this is not always true in AR10s.

To do a .243 you would need an AR 10, for .204 an AR15 will work. White oak armament i know makes 204 uppers.

To do .243 you would need all the parts for a .308 AR10 upper and lower except the barrel, eveything else should work.

Other than Georgia precision and other semi to full custom shops i dont knoe of anyone offerring an AR10 in .243.

I researched the 10 lowers and from what I gather is there is only 2 makers of the ar 10 lowers. Armorlite and DPMS and you are right they are picky with what upper sets in them. As far as the 204 I like the idea of it setting on the 15 frame, because its going to be a coyote gun. But if I do that I mise as well stay with the 223. As far a the 243 the bolt should be the same as a 308 am I correct. Thanks for the response guys.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
For .243 you are going to need to build unless you buy a Remington and I don't recommend anything Remington right now...

If it were me I would just go 308. Is there a reason for wanting the 243? (Mind you I like the 243 as it is so versatile)

If you do go 308 don't buy a S&W. They are proprietary and will not sell parts if something fails outside of warranty.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I researched the 10 lowers and from what I gather is there is only 2 makers of the ar 10 lowers. Armorlite and DPMS and you are right they are picky with what upper sets in them. As far as the 204 I like the idea of it setting on the 15 frame, because its going to be a coyote gun. But if I do that I mise as well stay with the 223. As far a the 243 the bolt should be the same as a 308 am I correct. Thanks for the response guys.
There are multiple makers but two major pattterns of the rifle.

A 308 bolt should be the same as a 243 bolt.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
For .243 you are going to need to build unless you buy a Remington and I don't recommend anything Remington right now...

If it were me I would just go 308. Is there a reason for wanting the 243? (Mind you I like the 243 as it is so versatile)

If you do go 308 don't buy a S&W. They are proprietary and will not sell parts if something fails outside of warranty.
I just don't like the size of a 308 bouncing around up here in the flat lands when shooting at coyotes. That's my biggest fear of the 308
Dpms was making one but I just can't find any.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here you go. Either this one or contact Sharp in Delphos as he has built AR 15 uppers for us and does great work.
Sharp in Delphos designed a acra-trigger for Savage.
I buy off Gunbroker every month and no problems.

My son shoots a AR10 in 260 Rem for long range PD shooting. He may even have a 308 upper left and I'll check.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465590275

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Here you go. Either this one or contact Sharp in Delphos as he has built AR 15 uppers for us and does great work.
Sharp in Delphos designed a acra-trigger for Savage.
I buy off Gunbroker every month and no problems.

My son shoots a AR10 in 260 Rem for long range PD shooting. He may even have a 308 upper left and I'll check.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465590275

Just got back from Fred Moreos at sharp shooters supply. He is recommending a ar in 17 rem. He wasn't wanting to build one per say but said he would help me out finding the parts. So this may be the rifle I go with. He brung up the weight issue with the 10 frame which I agree may be a little heavy to carry for miles.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The 17 Rem. really surprises me as I've never known anyone who was happy with it. It just copper coats the bore too much. Every PD shooter that went out West with us gave up on the 17 caliber.
If I couldn't do it with the 223 I wouldn't do it. The 55 gr. Hornady V-max bullet just blows up on impact and no worry of down range problems. The V-max bullet will turn a PD inside out and would always throw the PD to the right because of the right hand rifle twist.
IMHO

Just got back from Fred Moreos at sharp shooters supply. He is recommending a ar in 17 rem. He wasn't wanting to build one per say but said he would help me out finding the parts. So this may be the rifle I go with. He brung up the weight issue with the 10 frame which I agree may be a little heavy to carry for miles.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Looking forward too reading/seeing your build.....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Well I ended up going with a rock river ath in 223. I put it on paper and I'm impressed for a semi automatic it shoots right with the bolt guns I own. T IMG_20150305_170321.jpghe pic is of the gun the way it sets is with a 204 upper I just got finished today. The target pic is of the 223 with factory loads. I can't wait to work up some hand loads for both the 204 and 223. Come on warm weather. I shot a ground hog yesterday on top of a snow covered ditch at 175 with the 223 upper and turned him inside out. Can't wait to put it on a few yotes. I will say I bought the rifle off of Brian Ellerbrock who is a RRA dealer and he treated me right. He is west of Van Wert for all of you NW Ohio guys interested in ars, he is great to work with.IMG_20150305_170341.jpg