Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DISH vs Time Warner...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Anybody who is contemplating the switch to DISH from Time Warner I wanted to give my thoughts.

The short version is that I highly recommend DISH so far. The reasons why are:

- WAY better equipment with less need for reboots (none needed so far).
- Great picture quality
- Basically same price
- Hopper is great
- Record up to 5 shows at the same time

Once my initial year is up we will be paying the same price as we did for Time Warner.

Just wish we had another provider for Internet worth a crap.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We had nothing but problems with them lately.

We have had them for 15 years or more. Gave them the option to give us better rates and they offered to drop our $160 a month bill to $157...lol

Can't understand a single one of their reps.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Time Warner will be no more after March anyway lol. The other companies have already had their employees touring some of the mid-ohio facilities.

I will agree the TWC equipment is way behind. 9/10x it's an equipment failure vs a tech caused issue.

I could go on all day about this topic lol.

NAC1989

Clark county
They wanna screw all there existing customers which is bs. I've had them three years now, the bill started out at I think $55 for internet and basic standard TV which is around 70 channels and now it's up to $87. They've offered to lower it to $82 with a 1 year contract deal. What a joke!

AT&T uverse internet is available where I live so I will be switching to that for Internet and then get dish or direct tv.

Beentown have you checked AT&T uverse availability for Internet? I didn't think it would be available where I'm at but it is.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
We had nothing but problems with them lately.

We have had them for 15 years or more. Gave them the option to give us better rates and they offered to drop our $160 a month bill to $157...lol
Can't understand a single one of their reps.

You called the 800 number didn't you? lol If you want anything done with billing go into the local payment center. They are more willing to work with you then the call centers. Reason being the local payment office people are paid hourly where the call center employees get bonuses for upselling you. If your unwilling to up your services they rather you just hang up. Plus, it all depends on the call center you land in and what rep you get. Some are more willing then others to help people out and retain them. Call center employees are graded each month and they have to get so many upgrades, sales, and other quota marks. If they fail to hit those requirements they get wrote up and eventually fired.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Mark my words, in the next 5-10 years Dish and Direct will need to merge with a cable provider or start offering their own cable.

With the huge increase in broadband streaming and DSL sucking they will be behind the 8 ball. With things like Hulu, Google, Netflix, and a number of other online streaming cable or fiber phonelines will be needed neither Direct or Dish currently have the capability to do so.

JPN

coshocton
We just switched from direct tv to dish last month. I'm happy with it so far. We tried to get our bill lower with direct tv and they offered like $5 less. Then when we called to cancel it they offered to knock off $30 and give us a tablet. Lol If they would have offered that the first time we probably would have stayed but they charged us for extra crap every month so I'm glad we switched

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had TW for years and I absolutely hated them. They were like the Verizon of cable and internet providers. They new they had the best product (for the most part) so they bent you over on price, and then to top it off, theyd increase your bill every few months. Fuck them right in the mouth.

When we moved out to the boonies a little over a year ago, w discovered that there were no cable providers out here. So I made the call to DISH and I'm so glad I did. The price is cheaper than TW and the service is even better. I've had zero problems so far... Not one single reboot. Love the hopper. Love the DVR. Everything. They have the best thing going for TV in my opinion. Now internet on the other hand... Verizon is pounding me in the ass for that one.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've got Uverse TV/Internet and we love the service, but it's crazy expensive and rates are going up next month.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I left TW years ago for dish. 1/2 the price and twice the channels.
Then, about 2 years ago the wooded area I live in grew to a point the dish can no longer catch the satellite's so I dropped it too.
Torrent sites fill my need for movies and shows. I hated the lower channels w/ all the ad's anyway.

No loss felt here.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
We only have time warner for cable internet (our only option) and we use a ROKU box to stream everything we want.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
DISH is what we have back in Ohio and that works great in rural areas!

Down in Dallas I have ATT UVERSE. I love it, but Im not sure if its available all over the place.