Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

melting down an AR15 upper

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nuts. I bet it would have failed a lot sooner with a sustained rate of fire.

My grandfather was in Korea at the chosin when the Chinese attacked. He said the snow covered mountains had chinamen pouring down them like chocolate down a scoop of vanilla ice cream. They didn't have time to change barrels and fired until the barrels began to droop from heat.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A friend of mine was on a 50 cal support group for the tanks. The story he told one night when he had a bad flashback was terrible.
A mass attack of Chinese and the 50's mowed them down by the 100's. Then when the Chinese pulled back the GI's went out and piled the dead bodies up in a barrier. The Chinese would attack again and had to climb over the barrier which slowed them down and they just mowed them down again. Back out and piled them up again until the bodies were over 10 ft. tall. That caused the flashback when we were setting around the campfire and he seen the campers across the road. He shock and cried like a baby and my buddy and I had a hell of a time getting him out of it and he told us the story. Still brings tears to my eyes every time I tell it.
We should have dropped the A-bomb on them then.

My grandfather was in Korea at the chosin when the Chinese attacked. He said the snow covered mountains had chinamen pouring down them like chocolate down a scoop of vanilla ice cream. They didn't have time to change barrels and fired until the barrels began to droop from heat.

Your grandfather must have been a hell of a guy if he got out of that hell on earth that was the chosin reservoir.

Last winter I swung by home depot in uniform to get some wood filler. A vet hobbled after me and thanked me for my service. I noticed he was wearing Korean conflict veteran hat with a chosin reservoir pin. He was also missing fingers likely from frost bite. I told him if every service man stationed at JBLM shook his hand that wouldnt be enough thanks for what he and his comrades went through. He kind of teared up and i gave him a hug.

My Uncle was in Vietnam. The only time i heard him speak of the his experience over there came up in a conversation about barrel heat on hunting rifles. He said one of his buddies was going home in a week. So he told him to give him all his magazines and keep his head down. Which emptied his and his own through his m16. He said the front sight of the rifle was glowing in the dark.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Your grandfather must have been a hell of a guy if he got out of that hell on earth that was the chosin reservoir.

Last winter I swung by home depot in uniform to get some wood filler. A vet hobbled after me and thanked me for my service. I noticed he was wearing Korean conflict veteran hat with a chosin reservoir pin. He was also missing fingers likely from frost bite. I told him if every service man stationed at JBLM shook his hand that wouldnt be enough thanks for what he and his comrades went through. He kind of teared up and i gave him a hug.

That is cool.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

My Uncle was in Vietnam. The only time i heard him speak of the his experience over there came up in a conversation about barrel heat on hunting rifles. He said one of his buddies was going home in a week. So he told him to give him all his magazines and keep his head down. Which emptied his and his own through his m16. He said the front sight of the rifle was glowing in the dark.

I get embarrassed by the accolades by the WW2, Korean and Nam vets.... They're the ones who are the real heroes.... We owe them all a debt of gratitude....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is cool.
One of the guys on the Credit Union Board of Directors with me was at the Chosin Reservoir and the only thing he would say is he walked out with 1000's of other GI's. Nothing else was said.
He is a small guy and probably only weighs 125 lbs.

That is cool.