Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Called in first coyote

Buckrun

A friend of mine came over last night and we skinned out the coyote he called in Monday night. It was his first coyote and my first time skinning one.

It is going to the taxidermist today. He was trying to decide whether to do a head mount or tan the whole hide. After we got it cleaned up and skinned I think he is going to have the whole hide tanned. It was a pretty light colored one. Not a lot of the black or dark red.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Damn! Good job!!! Let me know how much the taxi tells you for the different services.
I ended up chucking the one I got over the hill. I didn't know how to skin it and didn't have anyone to help. I just snipped its tail off. I'm curious for future reference how much a taxi charges to tan it.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Damn! Good job!!! Let me know how much the taxi tells you for the different services.
I ended up chucking the one I got over the hill. I didn't know how to skin it and didn't have anyone to help. I just snipped its tail off. I'm curious for future reference how much a taxi charges to tan it.

The average price for a soft tan is 75-100 dollars. Wait until you get a real good one and get it tanned. I have 2 beautiful coyotes skinned out and in the freezer from last year. If anybody would like to get a good one tanned let me know, I already have 2 others done.

i woulda helped mike but i have never skinned one and didnt wanna fugg it up for the taxidermist ill practice and do the next one for ya

Buckrun

This was a real easy hunt. He has a corn burner. He had some corn left over from last year. Some of it had gotten wet and moldy. He dumped it out by his garden and each night he would watch out his window at the deer that came and feed.

Monday night he saw a coyote come out of the thicket to the east of his house. He got his rifle and went to the front porch on the west side of the house. The coyote was heading that way but He couldn't see it. So he blew on a rabbit distress call. It came out of the woods to the south. It was at least 1/4 mile away and ran all the way up to him. When it couldn't figure out where the rabbit was it started circling to get down wind. When Steve thought it was in range he tooted on the call again and it stopped. That is when he shot.

He said it dropped right where it was standing when he shot. The bullet went in kind of high lung shot and came out kind of behind the lung on the other side. Probably a one lung hit but the .204 dripped it right there. I think it went through right below the spine.

If you have skinned a coon or muskrat you could skin a coyote. I just slowed down and was careful around the ears, eyes and mouth. It came out real good. Got the eye lids, nose and lips on the hide. You can see the ears and lips in the picture.

I think he said it would be $95. to have it tanned. Something like $450. to have a head mount with the mouth open pedestal mount. I don't know what it would be for a full mount. The hide was so nice he didn't want to waist it doing a head mount. If he gets another that the hide doesn't look as good but has a nice head he may do a head mount.

Buckrun

Man my shop looks messy. I just have SO much stuff and running out of places to store it. Looks like I need to do another weekend of cleaning and organizing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Now I know who to call to help me skin one out! lol Congrats to Steve once again! Thanks for the text.

Buckrun

I really didn't think it smelt that bad when I was skinning it but I thought I could smell that think all the next day. OH and I did take a shower and had on a clean set of clothes the next day!:smiley_armscrossed: