Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I must not get out much

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I just left gander and I couldn't believe what I saw. Drury's actually came out with a decoy tree...lol... Says its for making mock scrapes in your food plots...lol... Come on man!... What's next drones shooting your deer? Wait a minute that's already happening...lol... Wonder if that'll be medic approved?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I honestly couldn't believe that either.

I like the Drury's and remember the year they transplanted a tree in a plot to try to get a buck to make a scrape, it worked. Next year I see commercials for that plastic tree to sell.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Several years ago I was on a property around Bay City Mi. The place was being managed to the fullest, food plots, bedding, etc. The property owner had covered the plots with cedar poles, confident they helped to keep the deer on his property until well after dark as they were so busy feeding and rubbing those cedar poles. He was certain his neighbors would never shoot one of "his" bucks.

After finishing in MI, we went on to Iowa and met up with Jay Greggory. I told him about the cedar poles all over MI and the landowner's reasoning. Sheepishly, Jay said he does something very similar.... ewww... OK. Maybe there is something to it. Jay's property was right across the road from Drury's Iowa ground, but I didn't see any plastic trees at the time. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My guess is I would be shot if I were found snooping on that farm... However, it adjoins a big piece of public ground. The entire area was a deer hunter's paradise! I would hunt that public land at the drop of a hat if I had time to make the trip.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Several years ago I was on a property around Bay City Mi. The place was being managed to the fullest, food plots, bedding, etc. The property owner had covered the plots with cedar poles, confident they helped to keep the deer on his property until well after dark as they were so busy feeding and rubbing those cedar poles. He was certain his neighbors would never shoot one of "his" bucks.

After finishing in MI, we went on to Iowa and met up with Jay Greggory. I told him about the cedar poles all over MI and the landowner's reasoning. Sheepishly, Jay said he does something very similar.... ewww... OK. Maybe there is something to it. Jay's property was right across the road from Drury's Iowa ground, but I didn't see any plastic trees at the time. :)

I have heard about cedar poles for rubs, but don't see how it could work for holding deer! Either way, lets start cutting and selling haha! CEDAR POLE TOO LCC

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They looked like clothes line poles..everywhere. They had a board nailed across the top to hold a licking branch on both sides of the pole. I have pics of them somewhere.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Found 'em! They made scrapes, hundreds of them, and beds for the deer. I don't know how well it worked, but they sure enjoyed spending time on their property working their tales off. They built a huge earth wall around the entire perimeter of the property too, so the neighbors could not see what deer were in their food plots.

Attachments

• IMG00039-20110824-1848.jpg
    IMG00039-20110824-1848.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 80

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Found 'em! They made scrapes, hundreds of them, and beds for the deer. I don't know how well it worked, but they sure enjoyed spending time on their property working their tales off. They built a huge earth wall around the entire perimeter of the property too, so the neighbors could not see what deer were in their food plots.

I have read about that property you are talking about somewhere. I am not sure where but I have. Was the guys name Tony Laplaca or something like that?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No, but this landowner paid Tony LaPratt to come consult. Some people have way more money than ways to spend it, and these folks were that way. Extremely nice folks, well-traveled world hunters, and man were they ever dumping money into their property in hopes of growing big deer! Amazingly, there was public land that bordered their land too!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
No, but this landowner paid Tony LaPratt to come consult. Some people have way more money than ways to spend it, and these folks were that way. Extremely nice folks, well-traveled world hunters, and man were they ever dumping money into their property in hopes of growing big deer! Amazingly, there was public land that bordered their land too!

LaPratt, yep Idk where I read about this property but I have! That is crazy, I wonder if they ever felt that it worked?